This page contains links to all the articles we’ve written about our favorite RV tech tips and that describe the many RV upgrades and modifications we’ve done to our rig. In addition, there are articles full of important RV maintenance tips as well as suggestions for things to consider when choosing and buying an RV.
Ever since we began this website back in 2008 (after being on the road RVing full-time for a year), we have written lots of articles that are chock full of the many RV tech tips we’ve learned along the way.
Below you’ll find all the article links, grouped by subject, to make it easy for you to peruse our online library of RV tech tips, RV maintenance tips, modification ideas and RV upgrades.
CHOOSING and BUYING AN RV
- Learn About RVing in a Cheap Small RV – New to RVing? Don’t break the bank on your first RV!
- Choosing an RV for Full-time Living – Motorhome? Trailer? Here are the pros and cons of each
- What are the Most Important Features in a Full-time 5th Wheel? – After 10 years in our fifth wheel, here are our thoughts.
RV MAINTENANCE, CLEANING and DRIVING
- RV Tips & Tricks – An assortment of tips we’ve assembled through the years
- How to Defrost the RV Fridge in 20 Minutes – There’s an art to defrosting!
- RV Dump Station Tips – Doing the Dirty Deed doesn’t have to be dirty!
- RV Dump Tips for Women – What’s a Girl to do at the RV Dump Station?
- Cleaning RV Faucets, Shower Wands and Drains – Avoid putting toxic chemicals in the RV holding tank and dump station!
- Cleaning the Rig – Tips for keeping the exterior sparkling
- Cleaning the Rig in the Rain – Mother Nature helps out while boondocking
- How to Drive an RV in the Mountains – Tips for towing a big trailer through the Rockies. Most tips apply to motorhomes too.
RV MODIFICATIONS and UPGRADES
- Trailer Disc Brake Conversion – Unlike standard electric drum brakes, electric over hydraulic disc brakes stop on a dime!
- RV Storage Tips – Increase your storage with a unique idea at the dining table
- How to Install a Vent-free Propane Heater – These heaters are awesome for boondockers who want to conserve electricity
- How to HEAT an RV in a Blizzard – Staying warm in a temperate climate is one thing, being toasty in a blizzard is another!
- Hitch Tighteners Stop the Rattle – Great for an RV or tow vehicle that has a bumper hitch receiver
- Bike Rack from Kuat – Carrying bikes on the back? A solid and well designed bike rack keeps them from getting damaged!
- RV Electrical System Upgrade – Overview of batteries, converter and inverter we upgraded to after 8 years off-the-grid…and WHY!
SOLAR POWER UPGRADE – INTRO and OVERVIEW of SOLAR POWER SYSTEMS
- RV (and Marine) Solar Power Made Simple - Overview of how solar power works on an RV or boat + small & big system designs
- Is RV Solar Power Affordable? - 3 solar power designs for RVs and boats, including parts lists and actual costs
- Which Solar Panels To Buy? - What's Best: Flexible or Rigid Panels? 12 or 24 volt? Mono- or Polycrystalline? And WHY?
- Installing Solar Power on a Sailboat - How to overcome the unique challenges of solar power on a sailboat
SOLAR POWER UPGRADE – TUTORIAL SERIES
- Solar Power Tutorial 1 - Basics - What makes up a solar power system and how does it work?
- Solar Power Tutorial 2 - Weekend/Vacation Systems - Everything needed for small "Weekending" and "Vacation" systems
- Solar Power Tutorial 3 - Full-Time Systems - Describes the design of a "Full-time" system
- Solar Power Tutorial 4 - Solar Panel Selection & Wiring - Design considerations for solar panel selection and wiring
BATTERY UPGRADE – ALL ABOUT BATTERIES and BATTERY CHARGING
- RV and Marine Battery Charging Basics - How do batteries get charged and what is the best charging method?
- Converters, Inverter/Chargers and Engine Alternators - No two battery charging systems do the job the same way.
- Solar Charge Controllers - A detailed examination of how three popular solar charge controllers work
- Solar Power and Shore Power Combined! - What happens when you're on solar and you plug into shore power?
- Wet Cell vs. AGM Batteries in an RV or Boat - Why we upgraded our RV house battery bank from flooded to AGM!
INVERTER UPGRADE – ALL ABOUT INVERTERS
- Power Inverters – Selection & Installation – What to look for in a power inverter for “house-like” off-grid RV living on 12 volts.
- How Much Inverter is Enough? – What happened when we accidentally killed our big inverter
CHOOSING and BUYING a TRUCK
- Buying a Truck – Things to consider: Which Make & Model? Single Rear Wheel or Dually? Long Bed or Short Bed?
- More on Choosing a Truck – With a link to the article Trailer Life Magazine asked us to write
TRUCK – MAINTENANCE and UPGRADES
- B&W Companion OEM 5th Wheel Hitch Installation – Hitch review and step-by-step guide for this easy DIY job
- Edge Evolution CS Engine Tuner Review – Provides peak truck performance
- More about Edge Tuners – Different models and driving modes plus an article written for Escapees Magazine
- How to Change the Inner Rear Wheel of a Dually Truck – Hopefully this will never happen to you!
- How to Put DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) in a Truck – Without spilling a drop…
You can find this page again by clicking on the “Tech Tips” item in the menu.
Companion index pages are “RV Lifestyle Tips – Costs, Repairs, Boondocking, Workamping & More” and “Product Reviews.”
Never miss a post — it’s free!
Our most recent posts:
- Zion National Park’s Hidden Jewels – Off the Beaten Path in an RV! 12/06/17
- Sand Hollow Side-by-Side UTV/ATV Adventure Rally – Test Drives in the Dunes! 11/26/17
- RV Lifestyle Tips: Costs, RV Repairs, Living Off the Grid, Workamping & More! 11/23/17
- Sand Hollow State Park, Utah – An Oasis in the Desert! 11/21/17
- Kanab – Hub for the National Parks + Gorgeous Canyons Nearby! 11/12/17