Are you dreaming of RV living or sailing the oceans, or perhaps wondering what it would be like to travel full-time and live a nomadic lifestyle? We are Emily and Mark Fagan, and we’ve been there and done that! Back in 2007 we left convention behind to live a life of adventure on the road, and this website is filled with inspiring travel stories and articles about everything we’ve learned along the way.
OUR MOST RECENT POSTS:
- Where to See WILDFLOWERS (especially POPPIES) in Arizona 2023! March 21, 2023
- Toy Hauler Life – What’s It Like to Live in a Toy Hauler? March 8, 2023
- Dead Horse Ranch State Park + Tuzigoot, Clarkdale & AZ Copper Museum! February 17, 2023
- Catalina State Park & Roosevelt Lake – Winter RV Camping in AZ! January 20, 2023
- Demco 21K Recon Fifth Wheel Hitch Review and Installation December 23, 2022
- Where All News is Good News – At the Saguache Crescent in Colorado! November 25, 2022
- Pomeroy, Washington – An Impromptu Sunday Stroll! October 29, 2022
- Lakes and Light in Wyoming and Colorado October 14, 2022
- Goldline RV Cover – Winter protection for our new trailer! September 23, 2022
- Finding Enchantment…in Encampment, Wyoming! September 11, 2022
For thirteen years we traveled full-time by RV, and for some of those years by sailboat too, and we’ve been sharing our travel stories as well as our cruising and RV lifestyle tips on this website ever since we started.
We have enjoyed several fabulous rolling and floating homes during all these years of travel, and we changed rigs and modes of transport as our personal dreams and ambitions evolved.
Our travels have taken us throughout North America, from Canada to Mexico, RVing scenic back roads and byways and sailing Mexico’s Pacific coast. This blog brings our wealth of knowledge to you.
From RV tech tips and RV lifestyle tips to cruising tips and travel stories, from full-time RVing ideas and pointers to a vivid glimpse of what goes into RV living, we give you the tools you need to plan your escape and live the dream of a nomadic lifestyle!
Our goal is to inspire you, to lift your spirits with fun travel stories, and to share our tips for how we’ve lived the dream of traveling full-time by RV and sailboat in an exciting nomadic lifestyle.
OUR STORY IN A NUTSHELL
We began our full-time RV travels in 2007 in a 27′ travel trailer. We criss-crossed the US in that RV for a year and then upgraded to a 36′ fifth wheel. (You can see our progression of trucks and trailers at this link: Our Rigs for Full-timing (also in the menu)).
At the beginning of 2010, after nearly 3 years of full-timing in our RV, we bought a sailboat and took our travels to the sea. For the better part of the next 4 years, we cruised our 44′ sailboat Groovy up and down the entire 2,000 mile Pacific coast of Mexico, spending the summertime hurricane seasons traveling in our trailer in the US while Groovy waited for us in Mexico.
We sailed from the US border to the Guatemala border, and visited almost every Mexican port in betwen, including the Sea of Cortez. We also headed inland for some of our best adventures, taking public buses on long journeys to see Mexico’s magical colonial cities and visit the mind-blowing Mayan ruins way down south in the jungle.
In the summer of 2013, we did the infamous Baja Bash, sailing Groovy uphill against the wind and waves from Puerto Vallarta back to San Diego. For the entire 1,200 mile journey we were in tucked in the sweet spot between two hurricanes, riding the coattails of one and being chased by another!
In early 2014 we said goodbye to our beautiful sailboat Groovy for the last time, and returned to RV living full-time. In 2020 we put roots back down again and returned to living in a stick-built home and embarked on summertime RV travels with a truck camper.
You can learn the rest of our backstory before we became full-time travelers on our About Us page (in the menu too). For a thrilling overview of our first ten years of full-time travel — chock full of gorgeous photos — check out these two posts:
- 10 Years of Full-time RVing and Sailng – Part 1: The Early Years
- 10 Years of Sailing and RV Adventures – Part 2: The 2nd Half!
In our nomadic lifestyle we have both discovered and nurtured a deep love of photography, and I (Emily…the author and webmaster of this site) have pursued my lifelong love of writing as well.
We have both grown tremendously as photographers — photography has become a truly shared passion for us — and this website is a fun testament to our improved techniques and maturing artistry from 2007 to the present!
For tips on how we learned photography and the gear we use, visit our photography page (also found in the menu).
Over the years we have published our photos and travel articles extensively in various print and online publications.
We have published over 200 feature articles in the major RVing and Sailing magazines, and 34 of our photos have appeared on magazine covers in the RV and sailing industries. We’ve also created a video guide series for cruising Mexico.
In 2017 we began authoring a column on the back page of Trailer Life Magazine showcasing our photos of special places we’ve been.
RV LIVING and OUR NOMADIC LIFESTYLE
In our nomadic lifestyle we have lived almost exclusively off the grid on solar power. In our RV living we like to “boondock,” that is, camp independently on America’s gorgeous public lands, away from campgrounds and RV parks.
In our sailing life we “anchored out” in bays and coves rather than staying in marinas.
In our years of full-time travel, we spent a total of 4,308 nights living off-grid on solar and battery power: 3,495 nights boondocking in our RV and 905 nights anchoring out on our sailboat. This unique nomadic lifestyle has taught us a lot about how to live simply and frugally, without “hookups” to power or water. We continue to avoid campgrounds and RV parks and boondock 100% of the time in our truck camper travels.
NAVIGATING THIS WEBSITE
With over 1,000 articles on this website, there is a ton of info for you about RVing full-time as well as cruising tips for sailors. And there are plenty of travel stories for armchair travelers too.
To get yourself oriented so you can easily navigate to the articles that interest you, please visit these links which explain how the website is laid out:
RVers Start Here! Cruisers Start Here!
WHERE DID WE GET THE NAME FOR OUR BLOG?
We are perpetually wandering off the well-worn paths of other travelers.
So, years ago, a friend sent me an email referencing Robert Frost’s poem The Road Not Taken after he read my post about why we are pursuing this travel dream. Reading his heartfelt note, I realized the poet’s sentiments matched the theme of our travels.
The final lines of that famous poem, written so long ago, ring true for us today:
Two roads diverged in a wood
And I took the one less traveled by
And that has made all the difference.
Perhaps you are at a crossroad in your life. We hope that if, like us, you decide to follow the many roads that are less traveled by, it will make all the difference for you too.
As John Irving once noted, “If you are lucky enough to find a way of life that you love, you have to find the courage to live it.”
Have a look around, and if you like what you see —
Never miss a post — it’s free!
— Emily and Mark
Below are some of our most POPULAR POSTS (also in the MENUS above)Buddy - A Journey in Spirit - The story of an event that changed our lives forever. ARTICLE INDEXES
- RV Tech Tips Articles - A one page index of links to all our RV Tech Tips, RV Upgrades & RV Maintenance articles.
- RV Lifestyle Tip Articles - An index of links to all our RV Lifestyle Tips (finances, boondocking, major repairs, work/jobs, etc.)
- Solar Power Articles - Overview and tutorial articles for how to design and install solar power on an RV or boat
- Product Reviews - An index of links to all of our Product Reviews
- RV Heater Installation - Step-by-step guide for how to select and install a vent-free propane heater
- Buying a Truck - Which options turn an ordinary diesel pickup into a massive TOWING MACHINE?
- Winter RVing Tips - How to STAY WARM in an RV
- How to HEAT AN RV - Heating tips for those dastardly blizzards on mountaintops!
- The Ultimate Flashlight for RVers and Boaters - The 4000 lumen search FLASHLIGHT we rely on
- Battery Charging Primer - The low-down on RV and marine batteries and how to charge them effectively.
- B&W Fifth Wheel Hitch - Why we chose this hitch for our fiver plus an easy 5th Wheel Hitch Installation Guide.
- How to change a dually truck's inner rear tire - Tips for changing the inner rear tire on a dually truck.
- Wet Cell vs. AGM Batteries - Which is better, why we upgraded, PLUS wiring tips to optimize battery life
- Increase Your RV Storage Space - Add precious storage space at the RV dinette with storage benches!
- Which Solar Panels are Best? - Which is better: FLEXIBLE or RIGID?? 12 or 24 volt?? monocrystalline or polycrystalline???
- RV Solar Power Made Simple - An overview of how solar power works on an RV
- Trailer Disc Brake Conversion - Massively improve trailer stopping power with electric over hydraulic disc brakes
- Truck Engine Upgrade - How we improved performance, towing power and fuel economy with an engine tuner
- How to Defrost an RV Refrigerator in 20 Minutes - It is actually a cinch to defrost an RV fridge!
- Solar Charge Controllers - Understand and OPTIMIZE your RV / marine battery solar charging
- Suspension Overhaul on a 5th Wheel - A Total Re-design for our Suspension: Hangers, springs, shocks & more!
- Can you run SOLAR POWER and SHORE POWER together? - What happens when you're on solar and you plug in?
- RVing Tips & Tricks - Tips and tricks to make RVing easy
- Converters, Inverter/Chargers and Engine Alternators - How do these battery charging systems REALLY work?
- How to BE COOL in summer! - Tips for cooling off your RV!
- RV Budget, Costs and Expenses - A detailed analysis of RVing expenses over 7 years of RVing full-time
- RV Extended Warranties - Is an RV warranty a good investment or a waste of money? Our personal case history.
- Working and Living on the Road - How do you make money on the road and who lives this nomadic lifestyle?
- Sell or Lease the House? - Is it better to SELL or LEASE your house when you start a life on the road?
- Mexican Dentists - Are the Dentists in Mexico any good? Just how cheap are they? Here are our PERSONAL experiences.
- How An RV Warranty Saved Our Bacon - Literally! - One repair on our RV practically paid for our RV Extended Warranty
- Still Smiling After 3 Days at the RV Repair Shop - Why? Our RV Warranty put us $2,000 ahead of the game!
- 5th Wheel Suspension Replacement - When our trailer's suspension failed, we $aved $$$ Thousands getting it replaced.
- RV Toilet Replacement - Our RV toilet quit flushing (ugh!) but our RV warranty saved us again. Now we're $6,700 ahead!
- RV Boondocking - Tips for how to live in an RV off the grid
- Which RV Is Best for Full-Time Living? - Transitioning from a house to an RV - Which RV makes the best home?
- Full-time RV Lifestyle Tips - Full-time RVing Logistics - Mail, Domicile, Insurance, Warranties, Saving Money at RV Parks
- What are the MOST IMPORTANT FEATURES in a Full-time Fifth Wheel? - For anyone planning to live in an RV!
- Internet & Phone Access for RVers - An inexpensive, minimalist solution for internet access on the road
- RV Dump Stations & Compost Toilets - How to do the dirty deed at the RV dump PLUS RV Composting Toilet tips
- Choosing a Trailer for Full-time RVing - Why the payload capacity is so important
- Learn RVing the Fun Way!! - Go Cheap, Go Small, Go NOW and have a blast in little RV!
- Free RV Campsites - Resources for locating campsites for boondocking
- Glimpses of the Full-time RV Life - Anecdotes from the road and essays about living the RV dream.
- Travel Photography Tips! - All the cameras, gear, books, blogs and tools we used to learn to take great pics!
- Gear Store - A list of the goodies, equipment and gear we've found useful in our RV lifestyle!