California is an enormous and truly varied state, and our travels there by RV and by boat have been among our best.
When we first got to San Diego with our RV in 2008, we fell in love with the place, doing the crazy “RV Shuffle” to stay within the streetside parking laws on Shelter Island and Mission Bay. Soon we were hobnobbing with the boaters, and that perked our interest in the cruising life. Before long, our idle boat show junkets became serious boat shopping, and the blink of an eye we had bought our own sailboat and started cruising in January, 2010.
After spending nearly four years cruising Mexico aboard our sailboat Groovy, we returned to California. We completed the frightening “Baja Bash” in nine days, chasing one hurricane and being chased by another.
Returning to California at the end of our Mexico cruise in the fall of 2013 was bittersweet. We were so proud of our sailing accomplishments and excited to be back in America, but we also knew these beautiful days in San Diego would be our last with our boat. We prepared our sailboat for sale at the swank Kona Kai Marina on Shelter Island and enjoyed four exquisite months in the best spot possible in America’s Finest City.
- Untying The Lines – A nautical send-off January 2, 2014A mysterious round stone helps us untie our lines to Groovy
- San Diego Treats – Balboa and Sunset Cliffs December 20, 2013In San Diego, we were enchanted by both Balboa Park’s manicured gardens and lily pond and by nature’s raw beauty at Sunset Cliffs.
- On San Diego’s Shores – Dolphins and more! December 11, 2013On San Diego’s shores we got glimpses of distant voyages from other cruisers, but the leaping dolphins stole our hearts.
- San Diego’s Shelter Island – A Lively Waterfront! December 5, 2013Shelter Island delighted us with a Porshce car show and a tall ship parade, all of which happened right in our front yard.
- San Diego’s Shelter Island – Safe Haven! November 29, 2013San Diego’s Shelter Island offered an ideal oasis of tranquility where we slowly readjusted to the breakneck speed of life in America.
- Taylor Guitars – Where Passion Fuels Success November 24, 2013Our visit to the Taylor Guitars factory in El Cajon CA was awe inspiring because of the unique philosophy of its founder, Bob Taylor.
- The Baja Ha-Ha 2013 Sails South! October 29, 2013After a great kick-off party, the 2013 Baja Ha-ha cruisers rally set sail from San Diego on their way to Cabo San Lucas.
- San Diego Anchorages – Glories of Glorietta Bay September 15, 2010Exploring Glorietta Bay on Coronado Island, the peninsula protecting San Diego Bay, we found lots of interesting island history…
- San Diego Anchorages – Boondocking on the Water August 25, 2010San Diego has great anchorages for visiting boaters, and we learned “the system” of free anchorages and stayed at anchor for 3 months.
- Groovy – How We Came to Own a Sailboat January 25, 2010We left Bequia and the southeastern Caribbean in a hurry and rushed to San Diego to purchase our dream boat, Groovy…
- San Francisco & LA – The Sailboat Hunt is On! June 1, 2009Our crazy search for a sailboat–to expand our travels to the sea–took us to cold, congested Oakland, California and left us stressed.
- San Diego – Magical Seaport Village January 22, 2009A quick 3-day trip to the annual San Diego Sailboat Show happily grew into a 10-day vacation as we discovered pretty Seaport Village…
- San Diego – Laid Back Mission Bay October 27, 2008San Diego’s Mission Bay is quiet and tranquil with bucolic, meandering waterways, gentle waves, charming villas & many parks & paths.
- San Diego – Shelter Island = Boater’s Paradise October 25, 2008San Diego was love at first sight us: the cool Shelter Island RV Shuffle, sailors on exotic voyages, and the Baja Ha-Ha- kickoff party….
- Death Valley, CA – An Exotic Landscape November 25, 2007Death Valley is full of exotic landscapes, but most important for us was our introduction to the world of RV boondocking…
- California Coast – Salt Air At Last June 29, 2007Ahhh… the fresh air of the craggy California coast. What a great place to install our first solar panel on our trailer!
- Yosemite National Park, CA – Sheer Beauty June 19, 2007We drove our RV into Yosemite National Park via Tioga Pass and found crystal clear mountain streams and towering waterfalls.
- Mammoth, CA – A big surprise! June 10, 2007Mammoth Lakes, CA, was a beautiful surprise at the beginning of our RV travels, and we found alpine lakes & lush forests.