Idaho is a beautiful state for RV travel and camping adventures, and each time we visit we remember how much we love it here. In the summer of 2008 we discovered the 72 mile paved bike path, Trail of the Coeur d’Alenes, as well as the little town of Kellogg that sits on its edge up north.
In the summer of 2009, we returned to Idaho and fell in love with the Sun Valley / Ketchum area. The Sawtooth Scenic Byway was stunning, and the little town of Stanley was a true delight (with a fabulous crystal clear lake for kayaking).
We dashed through Idaho with our RV in the summer of 2012 on the Mesa Falls Scenic Byway and returned for a longer stay in 2014 to revisit favorite haunts in Sun Valley. During that RV road trip we discovered Shoshone and the haunting beauty of Craters of the Moon National Monument.
In 2016 we traveled north along the eastern side of the state in the spring, enjoying the quiet towns of Mackay, Challis and Salmon. In the summer we traveled south along the western side of the state where we found the wonderful beach towns of Sandpoint and McCall.
In 2022, with our new Genesis Supreme Toy Hauler in tow, we visited Idaho Falls and discovered more beauty in the quieter parts of Idaho, including the Northwest Passage Scenic Byway on US-12.
Our travel blog posts are below:
- Sun Valley, Idaho – A Joyful Return to a Favorite RV Spot! August 13, 2022 Sun Valley and Ketchum Idaho have long been a favorite RV destination for us, and this year we were thrilled to return!
- Bovill, Idaho – An Early 20th Century Classic August 5, 2022 Bovill, Idaho, was an unexpected discovery and delight on our RV trip from central Washington to the mountains in Idaho.
- Nature’s Capriciousness in Idaho – Streams, Mountains and Storms! June 30, 2022 Our RV trip through rural Idaho brought us quiet joy by pretty streams and wild tempests in the mountains!
- Idaho Falls River Walk – A Glorious Garden Stroll by the Snake River! June 20, 2022 On our Idaho RV trip we stopped at Idaho Falls where we found the most wonderful River Walk along the Snake River right through downtown.
- Sun Valley Idaho – An RV Traveler’s Delight in Ketchum, ID! September 16, 2016 Sun Valley Idaho is a great RV travel destination with loads of outdoor activities and free symphony concerts in August.
- McCall, Idaho – Summer Beach Fun on Pretty Payette Lake September 14, 2016 McCall, Idaho, is a charming town overlooking pretty Payette Lake where beach lovers and boaters play in the sand and water.
- An Idaho Panhandle RV Trip on US-95: Sandpoint, Moscow & McCall September 10, 2016 On an RV trip down US-95 in Idaho’s panhandle, we visited Sandpoint, Moscow and McCall where beaches and cute bistros reign.
- An RV Cruise Along Idaho’s Salmon River on US-93 May 8, 2016 US-93 in Idaho runs along the Salmon River and is a very scenic drive for an RV trip to the towns of Challis and Salmon.
- A Backcountry RV Roadtrip in SE Idaho – Quiet Splendor! May 4, 2016 An RV roadtrip on the backcountry roads of southeast Idaho showed us beautiful mountains, pretty pastures and sweet towns.
- Craters of the Moon + Cataclysms from Sun Valley ID to Alpine WY September 2, 2014 Volcanic cinders at Craters of the Moon NM capped our cataclysmic theme of wildfires and floods from Sun Valley ID to Alpine WY!
- The Artsy Side of Sun Valley, ID August 26, 2014 Sun Valley has free goodies for every taste: art walks (with wine), symphony concerts, and camping.
- Ice Queens of Sun Valley, ID August 21, 2014 After biking the trails between the mountains, we enjoyed some beautiful figure skating competitions in Sun Valley Idaho.
- Sun Valley Road Rally – Go Granny Go! August 16, 2014 From an 81 year old granny to young gazillionaires racing Bugattis, the car racing was on at the Sun Valley Road Rally.
- Movin’ On Up to Sun Valley, ID August 12, 2014 From Shoshone to Sun Valley, Idaho, we went from an old railroad town to a resort playground for the rich.
- Mesa Falls Scenic Byway, ID – Pretty Waterfalls July 25, 2012 Mesa Falls Scenic Byway, Idaho, is a beautiful drive through pine woods to two lovely and unique waterfalls – one gets a rainbow!
- Sawtooth Scenic Byway and Stanley, Idaho – Picturesque! August 28, 2009 The Sawtooth Scenic Byway is a stunner and Stanley Lake & Redfish Lake are both magnificent with craggy mountain views!
- Sun Valley Idaho – Music, History & Celebrities August 15, 2009 Sun Valley Resort has it all: outdoor ice skating, a historic lodge lined with celebrity pics, and nightly outdoor symphony concerts.
- Sun Valley Idaho – RV Camping, Car Racing & Skating Legends August 6, 2009 Sun Valley ID (Ketchum) always has something going on, from free movies to car races. And the camping is fantastic!
- Sun Valley & Ketchum ID – Beauty & Fun in the Mountains! July 25, 2009 Ketchum ID, home of Sun Valley Resort, is so charming we stayed for a month soaking up the great atmosphere & views.
- Northern Idaho – Trail of the Coeur d’Alenes August 23, 2007 Stopping at a Walmart on I-90, we accidentally found ourselves beside the awesome 72-mile Trail of the Coeur d’Alenes bike path.