Arizona is our home state — and one of our favorites for RV travel and camping adventures. There is a lot of variety in this state, from baking hot deserts to chilly high elevation forests to canyons, cliffs and world famous views. It is possible to stay in Arizona year round and enjoy a moderate climate the whole time, as long as you choose the altitude to match the season (higher altitudes are always colder).
We have taken our RV to so many corners of Arizonna that we list blog posts by region. You can navigate this page using these links:
- Northwest: Lake Havasu area – Colorado River, Mojave Desert, good for winter RVing
- North Central: Grand Canyon, Flagstaff & Williams – High desert, ponderosa pine woods, cliffs, views, good for summer RVing
- Northeast: Navajo Nation & Vermillion Cliffs – Indian country and exotic canyons best from spring through fall
- Sedona: Red Rock Country – Stunning red rock landscapes & a cute town for spring or fall
- Central: Greater Phoenix and Sonoran Desert – Lush cactus studded desert landscapes, rivers and lakes best for winter RVing
- Southwest: Quartzsite and Yuma – Lower Sonoran Desert and winter RVing
- Southeast: Tucson, Willcox and Chiricahua Mountains – Real snowbirds (flocking cranes) and scenic mountains for spring & fall
NORTHWESTERN ARIZONA – LAKE HAVASU AREA
Lake Havasu is a great place to visit between fall and spring, with mild temps and lots of action on the Colorado River. We enjoyed staying at an RV resort there as well as watching a balloon festival and seeing a crazy VW Microbus show there in January.
- Balloons and VW Buses in Lake Havasu AZ January 17, 2015Taking a daytrip to see VW hippie microbuses in Lake Havasu Arizona, we bump into the Havasu Balloon Fest too!
- Havasu Springs Resort, AZ – Lucky Break! November 3, 2009Passing through Havasu Springs, a guy passing out brochures for free nights at a resort got us to stay – what luck!
- VW Microbus Mania in Lake Havasu Arizona! February 1, 2015The Buses by the Bridge festival in Lake Havasu, Arizona, was filled with lots of unique VW Microbuses that had been lovingly restored.
- Waterfront Dining in Arizona – Scorpion Bay & River’s Edge Cantina March 30, 2018Scorpion Bay Grill at Lake Pleasant and the River’s Edge Cantina on the Colorado River in Parker offer waterfront dining in Arizona.
- Wild Burros of the Colorado River – A Puppy’s View! March 16, 2018On the scenic drive between Parker Arizona and the Parker Dam we met a family of wild burros and introduced our puppy to them!
NORTH CENTRAL ARIZONA: GRAND CANYON, FLAGSTAFF, WILLIAMS & CANYON COUNTRY
The Grand Canyon is some 8,000′ or so deep, making temps at the bottom of the canyon similar to the hottest desert regions of the state while the temps at the rim are among the coldest.
This high altitude region extends for many miles from the Grand Canyon and is filled with ponderosa pine forests that enjoy four seasons. The North Rim of the Grand Canyon is so snowy in winter that it’s closed between October and May. But a visit in mid-summer can’t be beat! North of the Grand Canyon, on the Utah border, altitudes drop and red rocks and exotic canyons begin to dominate.
- Grand Canyon – A Winter Wonderland with Snow! January 18, 2019Grand Canyon National Park is a gorgeous Winter Wonderland when it is filled with snow. Here are pics from our blizzard adventure!
- Grand Canyon’s North Rim – Its Better Half! July 31, 2008The Grand Canyon’s North Rim is less visited than the South Rim, and we found a heavenly campsite in the Kaibab Nat’l Forest.
- Grand Canyon’s North Rim – Magnificent & Intimate by Day or Night! December 6, 2016The North Rim of the Grand Canyon is magnificent yet intimate…here are photos from our RV trip across northern Arizona!
- Parowan UT, Las Vegas NV, Williams & Sycamore Canyon AZ – Wow! August 28, 2011We enjoyed the Iron County Fair in Parowan UT as well as the vast views of Sycamore Canyon and nostalgia of Route 66 in Williams, AZ.
- Petrified Forest NP and Mogollon Rim – Cool pines & hot rocks in AZ! May 29, 2012AZ’s rugged Mogollon Rim, crazy Petrified Forest & stunning Painted Desert eased our transition from Mexico & our sad family times…
- Sunset Crater, AZ – Looks Like it Exploded Yesterday! June 15, 2008Sunset Crater (Flagstaff AZ) has intriguing lava flows & other-worldly cinder lakes, and was a great place to install our solar panels…
- What is happening to our Public Lands? October 2, 2014Fury over proposed permits for photographers on public land has gone viral, but changes at Grand Canyon are far worse.
- Wupatki Nat’l Monument – Ancient Indian Ruins & Great Camping in AZ! August 25, 2011Wupatki National Monument in AZ has 1,000 year old Indian Ruins, and next door Bonito Campground is our all-time favorite!
NORTHEAST ARIZONA – NAVAJO COUNTRY and EXOTIC CANYONS
Some 15-20% of Arizona is set aside for the Navajo Nation in the northeast corner. The reservation is so big it contains the Hopi Reservation within its borders! This is high elevation cold country, best visited in spring and fall. There are also fabulous rock canyons in the northernmost part of Arizona that borders Utah.
- “Cliff Dwellers” on Arizona’s Vermillion Cliffs Scenic Drive – A Fun Stop! December 3, 2016An RV trip through the Vermillion Cliffs in NE Arizona is an eye-popping red rock drive, and Cliff Dwellers is a fun roadside stop.
- A Glimpse of the Navajo (or “Diné” as they call themselves) December 16, 2014Here is an evocative and moving video about the Navajo Indians created by pro photographer Dawn Kish.
- Blue Mesa Trail – Lavender Beauty in Petrified Forest National Park May 5, 2017On an RV trip to Petrified Forest National Park we discovered gorgeous lavender hills and petrified logs on Blue Mesa Trail.
- Canyon Country Highlights – Lake Powell, Horseshoe Bend & More! February 1, 2019The drive from Bryce Canyon to Horseshoe Bend crosses gorgeous Canyon Country at Lake Powell (Glen Canyon) and Red Canyon.
- Canyon de Chelly – Breathtaking Views Under Vibrant Skies May 9, 2017Canyon de Chelly National Monument has breathtaking overlooks that come alive at sunrise and sunset, great for an RV road trip!
- Canyon de Chelly, AZ – A Canyon of Indian Cliff Dwellings June 27, 2012Canyon de Chelly has evocative Indian cliff dwelling in a gorgeous canyon close to the Navajo Code Talker memorial at Window Rock.
- Getting Our Kicks on Route 66 by RV in AZ – Cool Springs, Winslow & Holbrook April 24, 2017Get your kicks on Route 66 by RV & see Arizona’s Cool Springs Station, La Posada Hotel in Winslow & Wigwam Motel in Holbrook.
- Horseshoe Bend Overlook – Page, Arizona – Stunning! March 24, 2016Breathtaking Horseshoe Bend overlook near Page, Arizona, is ideal for a daytrip during an RV road trip through northeastern Arizona.
- Lees Ferry & Marble Canyon AZ + Pretty Paria River Hike March 26, 2016Lees Ferry & Marble Canyon are an easy RV side trip from Arizona’s Vermillion Cliffs Scenic Byway where the Paria River meets the Colorado!
- Mysteries in the Navajo Nation, Arizona November 29, 2014Leaving Colorado, we caught a glimpse of Monument Valley and discovered a hidden gem in the Navajo Nation in AZ.
- Navajo National Monument, Monument Valley and Bears Ears March 28, 2016Navajo National Monument has ancient cliff dwellings, Monument Valley has dramatic rock formations, and Bears Ears NM is PROPOSED.
- Petrified Forest National Park RV Trip – Magic in Jasper Forest April 28, 2017On an RV trip to Petrified Forest National Park calcified stone tree logs came to life on the Jasper Forest “Off the Beaten Path” hiking trail.
- Wire Pass Trail – Slot Canyon Hiking! May 22, 2014Wire Pass Trail (on the way to Buckskin Gulch Trail) has three fabulous slot canyons to slither through!
SEDONA ARIZONA – RED ROCK COUNTRY
Sedona is a stunningly beautiful town loaded with towering red rock formations that fill every view as you drive around. This is a fabulous spring and fall destination, peaking in March-May and October-December (the dates on our blog posts reflect the date the post was written, usually a few weeks after our visit!).
- Bell Rock Pathway, Sedona AZ – Hiking & Biking the Red Rocks March 7, 2016Bell Rock Pathway in Sedona, Arizona, is an easy hiking and biking trail that immerses you right in the heart of the best of the red rocks!
- Cathedral Rock at Red Rock Crossing – Sedona AZ December 14, 2014Cathedral Rock reflected in pools of water at Red Rock Crossing is one of the quintessential images of Sedona.
- Jerome, Arizona – A New Year’s Getaway in the Snow! January 4, 2019A winter escape from the Sonoran Desert to Jerome Arizona for snow makes a delightful New Year’s Day excursion.
- Montezuma’s Castle & Schnebly Hill – Sedona Heights! May 19, 2014Montezuma’s Castle & Montezuma’s Well are wonderful daytrips from Sedona and Schnebly Hill Road is a thrilling scenic drive.
- Oh, Sedona – Scenic drives in the red rocks!! May 9, 2014Every road in Sedona Arizona is a “scenic drive” with majestic towering red rocks and spectacular views.
- Sedona – Mountain biking in the red rocks! May 13, 2014Sedona is mountain biking heaven, but the challenges on the trails are just as dramatic as the scenery!
- Sedona Arizona – Brooding Skies at Sunset in the Red Rocks March 17, 2016Capturing a beautiful sunset over the red rocks of Sedona Arizona takes patience, but you can still get great photos while you wait!
- Sedona Reflections on the West Fork Trail May 16, 2014Sedona’s West Fork Trail features gorgeous mirrored reflections from red rock cliffs and bright green trees.
- Sedona, Arizona – Great Beer, Coffee, Red Rocks & Psychics! March 9, 2016Sedona, Arizona, is a trendy vacation hot spot in the red rocks where outdoor lovers can find gourmet coffee, great beer, and psychics too!
- The Crack at Wet Beaver Creek (Bell Trail Hike), Sedona, AZ March 14, 2016Hiking the Bell Trail to The Crack at Wet Beaver Creek is an easy 3.5 mile walk to a beautiful gorge and swimming hole in the Sedona AZ red rocks.
CENTRAL ARIZONA – PHOENIX and the SONORAN DESERT
Greater Phoenix is surrounded by exquisite Sonoran Desert scenery loaded with saguaro cactus, craggy rocks, washes and beautiful flowers and desert creatures. It is also home to several rivers and lakes which are filled with waterbirds and watersports.
Images of the Arizona Desert – A photo gallery of Arizona beauty: Wild horses, exotic birds (parrots!) and gorgeous cactus
- “RaVeS” Cafe for RVers in Mesa AZ December 1, 2014The new RaVeS Cafe in Mesa AZ caters to RVs & RVers with fun RV art on the walls and shelves and yummy food too!
- A Majestic Scenic Drive in Arizona – The Bush Highway January 14, 2015The Bush Highway near Phoenix is one of the most dramatic scenic drives in the state, and we caught it at the “golden hour”…
- Arizona, Here We Come! January 12, 2014Goodbye Groovy — sigh — and Hello Trailer — yippee!
- Arizona’s Stunning Apache Trail Scenic Drive February 9, 2015The Apache Trail is one of Arizona’s best scenic drives, winding past sparkling lakes, stately saguaros and tall canyon walls.
- Burrowing owls in Gilbert, Arizona – They’re a Hoot! January 13, 2015The burrowing owls at Zanjero Park in Gilbert Arizona are really easy to see, even at high noon, and they’re very cute!
- Camping World Video Shoot — RVing is for Everyone! April 6, 2018We were thrilled to “star” in a Camping World video as part of their campaign, “RVing is for Everyone.” Here’s the back story.
- Copper Mines, NOT CAMPING, in Tonto National Forest – Why? December 13, 2015Tonto National Forest PUBLIC LAND goes PRIVATE with a foreign copper mine yet winter RV camping areas are closed forever. Why?
- Dolly Steamboat – Gliding Through the Arizona Desert on Canyon Lake February 9, 2018The Dolly Steamboat cruise on Canyon Lake is a great way to see some of Arizona’s best desert scenery–from the deck of a boat!
- Fall Color in Arizona’s Sonoran Desert near Roosevelt Lake December 10, 2015The Sonoran Desert near Roosevelt Lake AZ erupts in colors each fall as the riparian habitats show off autumn’s splendor.
- Fall Colors and Wildlife on the Sonoran Desert Rivers in Arizona December 22, 2017Exquisite scenery and easily approached wild animals await RVers in the Sonoran Desert of Arizona along the rivers and waterways.
- Fiery Sunsets and Interesting Folks in the Arizona Desert January 15, 2009January 2009 – We visited two very different deserts in Arizona: the Quartzsite area and White Tanks outside of Phoenix…
- Florence, AZ – Few Tourists & Lots of Soul! February 13, 2015Florence, Arizona, is a small town between Phoenix and Tucson full of history and good vibes despite a lots of vacancies on Main Street.
- Hunting Spring Wildflowers in Arizona May 5, 2014Hunting for spring wildflowers in central Arizona, we took several scenic drives to find them.
- Lake Pleasant & Canyon Lake – Waterfront Camping in Arizona’s Sonoran Desert February 2, 2018Some of Arizona’s best RV camping is at the Sonoran Desert lakes. Here’s a look at Lake Pleasant and Canyon Lake in Phoenix.
- Lost Dutchman State Park Campground – Arizona Gold in the Superstitions February 15, 2018Lost Dutchman State Park RV Campground on the edge of Arizona’s stunning Superstition Mountains is a favorite among RVers.
- Magical Moments in the RV Life March 2, 2018Some magical moments from our RV lifestyle this week: balloons flying overhead, a bald eagle sighting and a fabulous full moon.
- McDowell Sonoran Preserve in Scottsdale AZ November 1, 2014McDowell Sonoran Preserve is a great system of hiking trails in the McDowell mountains with trail heads in Scottsdale, Arizona.
- Merry Christmas – Arizona RV Style! December 23, 2015Merry Christmas to all our RVing friends. Here are some pics of RVs we’ve seen decorated for the holidays. So much fun!!
- Monte Vista RV Resort in AZ – Arts, Crafts and Sports Fun! December 30, 2015Monte Vista RV Resort in Arizona is a classy, friendly RV park & mobile home community that’s great for arts, crafts and sports lovers.
- Peach Faced Lovebirds in Phoenix, AZ – Parrots in Cactus! March 1, 2016Peach faced lovebirds have established themselves in the wilds of Phoenix Arizona. How cute to see them in the saguaro cactus!
- Phoenix on the Wing – Waterbirds of Arizona! March 27, 2014Nature abounds along the rivers in Phoenix, AZ. From bald eagles to dancing snowy egrets, we saw it all.
- Phoenix Parks – Saguaros and Sisters November 27, 2009White Tanks and Bartlett Lake are great parks, but the best was meeting the gals of vintage trailer club “Sisters on the Fly”.
- Phoenix Sonoran Preserve – A City Escape January 24, 2014The new Sonoran Desert Preserve offers breathtaking hiking in pristine desert, right in Phoenix!
- Rainbows and Wild Horses in the Arizona Desert! February 8, 2019Seeking adventure in Arizona, we found some very tame wild horses and saw some vivid rainbows reflected across a lake.
- Ranch Sorting Competition – Cowboy Adventures in Phoenix Arizona December 29, 2017A ranch sorting competition (also known as “cow sorting” & “cattle sorting”) was a fun immersion in western cowboy culture on our Arizona RV trip.
- Rivers of Phoenix – Oases in the Desert! February 14, 2014Phoenix Arizona lies in the middle of the desert, but at its heart two rivers flow…
- Roosevelt Lake – Lakeside Camping in AZ May 1, 2014Roosevelt Lake near Phoenix AZ offers not only beautiful campsites but fascinating ancient Indian cliff dwellings close by.
- Roosevelt Lake, AZ – Desert Oasis April 15, 2009Arizona’s Roosevelt Lake is a rich blue lake lined with cactus and desert flowers and is the perfect place for a little R&R…
- RV Camping with the Rock Art Petroglyphs in Gila Bend, AZ April 21, 2017Painted Rock Petroglyph Site near Gila Bend, Arizona, is loaded with ancient rock art and there’s a sweet little RV campground too.
- Saguaro Lake – On the Waterfront in Phoenix February 27, 2014Pretty Saguaro Lake in the Phoenix area is a great spot to get a water fix in the desert!
- Saguaros and Sunsets in Phoenix Arizona January 31, 2014The sunsets and saguaro cactus around Phoenix kept us busy and our cameras happy!
- Snow in the Arizona Desert – A Beautiful Fairy Dusting! January 13, 2016A fairy dusting of snow in the mountains around the campground at Roosevelt Lake Arizona made for some gorgeous days in our RV.
- The Wind Cave Hike in Phoenix AZ – The Hills are Alive! March 13, 2014Colorful lichen-covered cliffs and friendly chipmunks are highlights on the Wind Cave hike at Usery Mountain.
- To Catch a Hummingbird (on camera!) January 18, 2014Catching a hummingbird on camera is not so easy, but with a window feeder on our RV and lots of patience, we got great images!
- Tonto National Monument AZ – Lower Cliff Dwellings December 16, 2015The Lower Cliff Dwellings at Tonto National Monument in Arizona are ancient Indian ruins high on a hill overlooking Roosevelt Lake.
- Tonto National Monument AZ – Workamping with the Ancients! January 7, 2016At Tonto National Monument’s Upper Cliff Dwellings in Arizona, we learned about workamping and volunteering at archaeological sites.
- ViewPoint RV & Golf Resort – RVer’s and Golfer’s Delight! January 22, 2016ViewPoint RV Golf & Resort is a lovely wintertime oasis for snowbird RVers with an 18 hole golf course and lots of great amenities.
- Wild Horses of the Salt River in Phoenix April 25, 2014After weeks of waiting, we had a thrilling encounter with the “wild” horses of the Salt River in Phoenix AZ.
SOUTHWEST ARIZONA – QUARTZSITE and YUMA
The Southwestern quadrant of Arizona is home to Quartzsite, a truck-stop town on I-10 that swells to a million people during the RV show in mid-January. Southwest of there is the city of Yuma, the warmest place in the southwestern US in mid-winter.
- Mexican Dentists – Finding Affordable Dental Care in Mexico February 12, 2016Finding affordable dental care in Mexico isn’t hard and the quality of Mexican dentists is terrific. Here are our experiences.
- Quartzsite Arizona – RV Madness in the Desert! January 21, 2015RV snowbirds flock to Quartzsite AZ each January for the big RV show and transform the desert into a party on wheels.
- Quartzsite RV Show – RV Stuff and So Much More! January 30, 2016The Quartzsite Sports, Vacation and RV Show draws a cast of thousands to camp in the Arizona desert every January.
- Quartzsite, Arizona – The RV Gathering Place January 26, 2016Quartzsite, Arizona, is The Gathering Place for winter snowbirds and RV travelers who camp in the desert for a few weeks each winter.
- Quartzsite, AZ – Snowbird Roost December 5, 2007Quartzsite, Arizona is a quirky truck stop town that’s famous among snowbird RVers but is virtually unknown by Arizona residents.
- Sunset over RVs in Quartzsite AZ January 24, 2015A stunning sunrise filled the sky over all the RVs in Quartzsite Arizona a few nights ago…
- The RV Show in Quartzsite AZ – More Than Just RVs! February 7, 2015The RV Show in Quartzsite Arizona is a crazy mix of goodies for the RV lifestyle and elixirs for the aged!
- Visiting the Dentist in Mexico December 29, 2016Mexican dentists do good quality work at a fraction of American prices, a great option for RVers who travel south for the winter!
- What’s It Like to RV in Quartzsite AZ? Anything Goes! February 2, 2016Quartzsite Arizona in January is a free-flowing RV gathering in the desert kinda like Burning Man or Woodstock for the senior set.
- Yuma, AZ – Prisons and Balloons November 21, 2008Yuma AZ is home to the forbidding Yuma Territorial Prison and also hosts the colorful Colorado River Crossing Balloon Festival…
SOUTHEAST ARIZONA – TUCSON, CHIRICAHUA MOUNTAINS and WILLCOX
While Phoenix is Arizona’s commercial hub, Tucson is Arizona’s “cultural” heart. South and east of there elevations begin to rise, and the Chiricahua mountain range is absolutely beautiful and a bit cool, best seen in spring and fall.
- Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum – Wild Animals in Tucson AZ March 5, 2016The Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum in Tucson AZ houses wild animals along a labyrinth of paths and raptors fly free overhead twice a day!
- Arizona’s Eastern Chiricahuas – Finding Beauty in Devastation March 1, 2015Arizona’s Eastern Chiricahua Mountains have suffered terribly since 2011’s wildfire and 2014’s floods, but they are still lovely!
- Dear Deer in Arizona’s Chiricahua Mountains February 11, 2015While strolling in the magical pink and blue light sunset light in Arizona’s Chiricahuas, I had a very special encounter.
- Old Adobe Doorways & An Evening Walk in Tucson AZ February 23, 2016Old Town Tucson Arizona is filled with charming old adobe doorways, a perfect warm-up for the Meet Me at Maynards evening walk downtown.
- Saguaro National Park Petroglyphs – Tucson Mountains, AZ February 20, 2016Amid the cactus studded hillsides of Saguaro National Park (Tucson Mountains) there are evocative petroglyphs at Signal Hill.
- San Xavier Mission – Spanish Colonial Architecture in Tucson AZ February 17, 2016The San Xavier Mission in Tucson Arizona is a lovingly restored 300 year old Spanish Colonial church that makes for a fun daytrip.
- Sandhill Cranes in Willcox Arizona – What a Party! February 21, 2015Sandhill cranes flock to Arizona and New Mexico each winter, and RV snowbirds can check out their feathered mates near Willcox!
- Swift Trail Scenic Drive up Mt. Graham – Autumn Color in Arizona December 7, 2015The Swift Trail Scenic Drive climbs Arizona’s Mt. Graham from the desert to ponderosa pine to aspen, an ideal autumn drive.