Cruising Mexico on a boat is exhilarating, and we learned all kinds of things during our cruise down south.
The following pages cover all the things we discovered during our cruise that we felt might help future cruisers coming behind us. From provisioning to weather prediction to getting laundry done to finding boat parts to figuring out the bus systems, these pages are loaded with gold nuggets of really valuable information.
Happy reading, and have a wonderful cruise when your day comes!
- Cruising Mexico’s Sweet Costalegre (“Happy Coast”) – in Sailing Magazine! 06/04/16 The Costalegre in Mexico is the cruiser’s Gold Coast, a great sailing and cruising destination for sailboats and boaters of all kinds.
- Mexican Dentists – Finding Affordable Dental Care in Mexico 02/12/16 Finding affordable dental care in Mexico isn’t hard and the quality of Mexican dentists is terrific. Here are our experiences.
- Learning the Ropes at J-World Sailing School 11/05/14 J-World Sailing School got our cruising dream launched from being a mere fantasy into being a real life adventure.
- Cruising Mexico Video Series! 10/17/13 Where are Mexico’s prettiest beaches, most romantic anchorages, and best inland trips for cruisers? Our video series shows you!
- Mexico Cruiser’s Bookshelf – Guides and Resources! 08/18/13 Descriptions of the best cruising guides, reference books, maps, field guides and resources for cruising Mexico.
- Tips for Cruising Mexico – Part 1 – Navigation, Weather, Gear & more 07/16/13 Page 1 of our boatload of tips and tricks for cruising Mexico, including: adapting to the culture, learning Spanish, navigation, weather & tide resources, boat prep & gear, and more.
- Tips for Cruising Mexico – Part 2 – Costs, Provisioning & more 07/15/13 Page 2 of our myriad of tips and tricks for the Mexico cruiser, including: cruising costs, checking in, money, provisioning, finding boat parts, internet, laundry, hair care, bugs, and crime.
- Mexico by Bus – Land Travel in Mexico! 06/04/13 Getting off the boat to see Mexico’s interior really enhanced our cruise. Here are tips for using Mexico’s long distance buses.
- Spanish Learning Tools – How To Learn To Speak Spanish! 04/30/13 Learning Spanish truly broadens the experience of cruising and living in Mexico. Here are a few tools that have helped us a lot.
- Marina Chiapas – Waypoints, Cruising Guide & Inland Travel 02/22/13 Marina Chiapas is a new marina at Puerto Madero (the new Puerto Chiapas cruise ship port) near the Guatemala border. After several months there we put together these notes for cruisers, including waypoints and an inland travel guide.
- Mexico Maps 02/05/12 A collection of maps of Mexico’s Pacific coast and Sea of Cortez for cruisers showing all the popular anchorages and destinations.
Solar Power for Boats and RVs 01-25-12
Can you live at anchor on solar power? YES!! Here’s our installation, including our custom arch, and a solar power tutorial.
To help you plan your cruise and get you inspired, we created the video series, "Cruising Mexico Off the Beaten Path - Volumes 1-3," shown below. This is a fun-to-watch and easy-to-digest introduction to Mexico from a cruiser's perspective, giving you lots of valuable information that isn't covered by the cruising guides. Each video is available individually at Amazon, either as a DVD or as a download. For discount package pricing on the whole series, visit our page Cruising Mexico Video Series.
Volume 1 (left) reviews the geography, weather and seasons in Mexico and shows you what the best anchorages between Ensenada and Manzanillo are like.
Volume 2 (middle) gives detailed info that can't be found in any of the guidebooks about the glorious cruising ground between Manzanillo and the Guatemala border.
Volume 3 (right) provides all the info you need to get off the boat for an adventure-filled trip to Oaxaca.Our Gear Store also has a boatload of ideas for your cruise!