Although we had traveled to Colorado (and loved it!) before we started our full-time RV travels, we didn’t get there with our RV until the summer of 2012 when we dropped by the indian cliff dwellings on Mesa Verde and traversed the red rock majesty of the Colorado National Monument. However, what really got our juices flowing were the vivid fall colors around Telluride and Ridgway.
We’ve returned to Colorado with our RV in the fall time and again since then. It is a gorgeous state!
We held off so long on driving our RV through Colorado because we were intimidated by the thought of taking the rig over the enormous mountain passes in the towering Rocky Mountains. But in the end, we’ve driven the jaw-dropping Million Dollar Highway (US Route 550), which is one of America’s most challenging mountain roads, towing our 14,000 lb. fifth wheel trailer several times now, and we’ve found it very manageable.
So, if you drive a big RV, don’t take Colorado OFF your bucket list because of the mountains. Add Colorado TO your bucket list because the mountains are just that stunning!!
- Hartman Rocks – A Different View of Colorado near Gunnison October 13, 2023 Hartman Rocks Recreation Area outside Gunnison offers a different view of Colorado. No snow towering mountains here — but lots of interesting rock formations!
- Creede, CO – Mining History & Championships + 4th of July! September 23, 2023 Creede, Colorado, is a tiny village way off the beat path that’s a great RV destination, especially for the 4th of July and Colorado State Mining Championships.
- Buena Vista Colorado – What a Place for an RV Breakdown! September 15, 2023 Buena Vista Colorado’s River Park and South Main Street area are great places to hang out for a few weeks in the summer…like we did when our RV broke down!
- Rocky Mountain National Park & Trail Ridge Road: RV? Dog?? September 1, 2023 Rocky Mountain National Park is filled with awe-inspiring alpine vistas along the Trail Ridge Road, but is it okay for an RV and/or a dog? Yes and no…
- Lake Granby Colorado RV Trip – A Summer Beach Vacation! August 25, 2023 Lake Granby is a fabulous RV trip destination for a summer beach vacation. There are several campgrounds on the edge of the lake and lots of things to do.
- Remote RV Camping: Antero Reservoir & Blue River Colorado August 18, 2023 Antero Lake South Shore Campground and areas along the Blue River in Colorado are wonderful spots for remote RV camping – great views and quiet!
- Burro Days! Burro Races, Llamas & Outhouses in Fairplay CO August 5, 2023 Burro Days in Fairplay, CO, is a 3-day festival of World Championship burro races, llama races, outhouse races and more. What a blast!
- Crested Butte – Wildflower Capital of Colorado! July 29, 2023 Crested Butte is the wildflower capital of Colorado, and in mid-July the wildflowers stretch across the valleys as far as the eye can see.
- Silver Thread Scenic Byway in Colorado – Fire in the Sky! July 20, 2023 Silver Thread Scenic Byway in Colorado is 120 miles of meadows, forests & mountain passes great for an RV trip. A full moon at sunset created fire in the sky!
- Telluride Gondola Ride in Colorado – FREE and Dog Friendly! July 12, 2023 The Telluride Gondola Ride is a FABULOUS excursion that’s FREE and super dog friendly too! Best of all, you can avoid all the parking hassles in Telluride!
- Rocky Mountain High: Alpine Beauty in Colorado + Trout Lake! July 5, 2023 Dreaming of a Rocky Mountain High? We found breathtaking alpine beauty in Colorado on the back roads around Trout Lake, Rico and Telluride…
- Where All News is Good News – At the Saguache Crescent in CO November 25, 2022 The Saguache Crescent, a small weekly Colorado newspaper, has thrived on Good News since the early 1900s. Printed on antique Linotype machines, it is unique!
- Lakes and Light in Wyoming and Colorado October 14, 2022 Driving through Wyoming and Colorado with our RV we found some beautiful lakes and saw some exquisite light in the sky.
- Colorado’s Stunning Scenic Drives…by Porsche! July 23, 2017 On a Colorado RV trip we joined friends on a Porsche 356 club rally, driving over mountain passes & seeing exquisite alpine scenery.
- Cowboy Poetry Gatherings in Durango, Colorado, and Alpine, Texas! November 30, 2016 Cowboy poetry gatherings in Durango Colorado and Alpine Texas are a fun way to glimpse of the past in the American West.
- Brilliant Fall Foliage + Snow in the San Juan Mountains of Colorado November 22, 2016 On an RV road trip to see the fall foliage in the San Juan Mountains of Colorado, a snowstorm transforms the landscape! Lots of pics…
- Colorado’s San Juan Skyway – An RV Trip in Dazzling Fall Color! November 18, 2016 An autumn RV trip on the San Juan Skyway in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado is an unforgettable experience. Pics here…
- San Juan Mountains Colorado – And then it Snowed! November 14, 2014 On our RV trip on the San Juan Skyway, the Colorado’s Rocky Mountains became a winter wonderland when it snowed in late fall.
- RV Trip on Colorado’s Million Dollar Highway – Ouray to Silverton November 2, 2014 An RV trip on the Million Dollar Highway from Ouray to Silverton Colorado is breathtaking both for the scenery and because it is scary!
- Ouray – Finding the COLOR in Colorado on an RV Trip! October 26, 2014 Late September to early October is the perfect time for an RV road trip to Ouray Colorado when the aspens light up the mountains.
- Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park, CO – Steep and Deep! October 21, 2014 The Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park in Colorado is a land of wild and rugged beauty and very sheer cliffs!
- Romance at Maroon Bells Colorado! October 9, 2014 Love was in the air at Maroon Bells in Colorado where we watched an engagement and a wedding photo shoot!
- Colorado GOLD – A Fall Foliage Photography Workshop October 21, 2012 Colorado’s Dallas Divide between Ridgway and Telluride is a vivid kaleidoscope of color in autumn, ideal for a photo workshop.
- Ridgway, CO – Peak fall foliage on the Dallas Divide – WOW!! October 19, 2012 Ridgway, Colorado, the San Juan mountains, Owl Creek Pass, Dallas Creek Rd and Last Dollar Rd make for a spectacular Fall RV trip.
- Colorado National Monument & Fruita CO – Red Rocks, Cycling & Wine! October 18, 2012 Colorado National Monument’s red rocks are gorgeous, nearby Fruita has an awesome farmer’s market while Palisade has tasty wine!
- Mesa Verde National Park, CO – Life on the Edge with the Ancients June 19, 2012 Mesa Verde National Park has canyons filled with awe-inspiring Indian cliff dwellings and Utah’s Bicentennial Highway is sensational!