During our first two years of full-time RV travel, in 2007 and 2008, we criss-crossed Texas several times as we scooted across the bottom of the country on I-10 between the western states and the eastern states.
It wasn’t until the winter of 2015, however, that we explored Texas’s many wonders, especially exotic Big Bend National Park down south on the border between Texas and Mexico. This is an enormous and extremely varied national park, with forested mountain hiking, desert red rock hiking and the famous Rio Grande. What’s better, there are two unique communities just outside the park that are worthy of a daytrip — Boquillas del Carmen, a village in Mexico, and the “ghost town” of Terlingua.
East of Big Bend, we found some extraordinarily beautiful caves and the national headquarters of the Escapees RV Club, two very worthwhile excursions, and along the way we bumped into the manufacturing plant for tiny Casita Travel Trailers!
BIG BEND NATIONAL PARK
- Boondocking at Big Bend National Park – Cheap & Scenic RV Camping March 26, 2015 Boondocking at Big Bend National Park in Texas is inexpensive and scenic, but it can be a little tricky!
- Boquillas del Carmen – A Taste of Mexico in Big Bend TX April 3, 2015 A highlight of our trip to Big Bend National Park in Texas was visiting the tiny village of Boquillas del Carmen in Mexico.
- Terlingua, Texas – A Living Ghost Town in Big Bend March 28, 2015 Terlingua, Texas, is a living ghost town in Big Bend, complete with an antique cemetery and new buildings built into ancient ruins.
- Big Bend National Park – Mountain, River & Desert Hikes March 19, 2015 Big Bend National Park in Texas has all kinds of day hikes, from ascending mountains to walking beside rivers and through deserts.
- Big Bend National Park TX – Vast and Varied with Views! March 17, 2015 Big Bend National Park is a huge park that is ideal for an RV trip, with mountains, a huge river, desert terrain and great views.
- A Glimpse of Big Bend National Park in Texas March 5, 2015 Big Bend National Park in Texas is a land of extremes with freezing cold, searing heat, boulders, wildflowers, songbirds and sunsets
- Big Bend Bound – To Texas!! February 17, 2015 Texas has shown us some of her wildest moods in a few short days: sunshine & hail, delicate wildflowers & monster mountains…wow!
OTHER TEXAS HIGHLIGHTS
- Cross-Country Highlights on an RV trip from Indiana to Texas December 14, 2018 On an RV trip through middle America we found special highlights off the beaten path in Illinois, Oklahoma and Texas.
- Rainbow’s End – Escapees RV Club Headquarters! April 14, 2015 Escapees RV Club is headquartered on a huge campus in Livingston, Texas, a fascinating place for RV travelers to visit!
- Caverns of Sonora – Enchanting Caves in Texas April 6, 2015 The Caverns of Sonora are an extensive cave system in Texas filled with exquisite calcite mineral formations.
- Casita Travel Trailers – Lots of RV in a Tiny Package March 9, 2015 Casita Travel Trailers pack a lot of camping punch into a small home on wheels, and the factory tour in Rice Texas is a delight!
- Slip Sliding Away – An Ice Storm in Texas March 6, 2015 While driving I-20 in Texas 2 days after a winter ice storm, we saw the shocking remnants of true chaos on the freeway.
Never miss a post — it’s free!