A huge windstorm has wiped out cell service in Big Bend National Park here in Texas, so we have been scurrying to the Visitors Center every so often to check our email, get a weather report and make sure the real world out there is still okay. in the meantime, Big Bend has given us some incredible beauty and big surprises.
It’s a huge park, and going anywhere is at least a 25 mile drive. But the drives are awesome! There are rock formations, badlands, cliffs, mountains, rivers and more.
We’ve enjoyed some fabulous hike through boulder fields, to balancing rocks and into canyons with cliffs towering above us. But this place always keeps you on your toes. A few mornings ago, after enduring below-freezing temps overnight, we woke up to dense fog and lacy frost decorating everything.
Despite our red noses and beanie hats, we loved every icy minute we spent in this world of mini icicles, and we’re hoping it happens again! The delicate patterns on all the desert plants were exquisite. Pretty tendrils of ice on a yucca plant gave it a whole new look.
And then, as quickly as it formed, the frost disappeared under the rising sun. Little birds began chirping again, and the wildflowers opened up to the warm sunshine.
The day faded away with a beautiful sunset…
Our most recent posts (find more Latest Posts in the MENUS above):
- 101 MORE Great RV Gift Ideas for RVers, Campers & Outdoor Lovers! 11/17/18
- RVing Through History – 80 Years of RV Travel! 11/09/18
- RV/MH Hall of Fame + Elkhart (RV Heart) Indiana 11/02/18
- Halloween Camping – RV Witches & Goblins at Michigan State Parks! 10/26/18
Related Posts from our RV travels to Big Bend:
- Boquillas del Carmen – A Taste of Mexico in Big Bend TX 04/03/15
- Terlingua, Texas – A Living Ghost Town in Big Bend 03/28/15
- Boondocking at Big Bend National Park – Cheap & Scenic RV Camping 03/26/15
- Big Bend National Park – Mountain, River & Desert Hikes 03/19/15
- Big Bend National Park TX – Vast and Varied with Views! 03/17/15
- Big Bend Bound – To Texas!! 02/17/15
Never miss a post — it’s free!