July 2019 – One of the great things about traveling in the summertime is being able to enjoy the 4th of July celebrations in a special place. This year we were near the small town of Kanab, Utah, and we eagerly went into town to see the parade.
We were staying over the border in Arizona, and we’d forgotten that in the summer months Arizona and Utah are in different time zones. Utah is always in Mountain Standard Time while Arizona floats between Mountain and Pacific Standard Time depending on the time of year because they don’t change their clocks for daylight savings.
We’d planned to arrive about a half an hour before the parade started, and as Mark parked the truck he glanced at the clock on the dashboard and was about to say, “Perfect timing, it’s 9:30,” when he noticed our truck’s clock said 10:30.
Luckily, the parade was still going on and we saw some fun things roll by. A bright red fire engine went past and then there were a bunch of RZRs all dolled up in red, white and blue. There were some other interesting contraptions too.
A few antique cars beeped as they passed by the historic Parry Lodge where all the Hollywood stars of the Golden Age stayed when they made hundreds of movies in the beautiful red rocks around town.
Smokey Bear made an appearance in the back of a US Forest Service truck. And then one of the Hot Shots standing on a Forest Service fire truck gave us all a big spray.
Kanab is an hour’s drive from any town big enough for a city-sized supermarket, but the grocery store in town, Honey’s Market, keeps everyone’s pantry full. A lady clown from Honey’s Market brought up the rear of the parade, slowly making her way down the street, chatting with friends and neighbors and giving out goodies to the kids.
Kanab was settled in 1864 when Fort Kanab was built, and in 1870 ten Mormon families moved into the fort to establish the town. A huge mural on the side of a building depicts the arrival of a wagon train at Fort Kanab.
There is lots of detail in this mural — the excited pioneers at the front calling out to the people at the fort, the weary travelers further back in the line, and the folks hanging out at the trading post as the wagons slowly come in.
Back in the glory days of Hollywood, Kanab played host to visiting celebrities making movies, but today it is a tourist town. It isituated conveniently between three of America’s major National Parks: Grand Canyon (North Rim), Zion and Bryce Canyon.
Over in the town park the 4th of July festivities were in full swing when we walked up. The lush green grass and the vibrant red rock backdrop were beautiful, and the mood was decidedly festive and upbeat.
Red, white a blue stencils of all kinds had been spray painted on the grass, and lots of people were decked out in stars and stripes.
Tents were set up with all kinds of beautiful arts and crafts for sale, and the food court was humming.
The most fun — and coolest — spot to be was near (or in) the water fountain. The water jets sprayed on and off in all directions, and the kids had a blast.
Buddy wasn’t sure what to make of the constantly moving streams of water, but he was grateful for a drink from Mark’s helping hand.
It was a wonderful and hearwarming day and a great way to celebrate the 4th of July. If your travels take you near Kanab, Utah, on Independence Day some year, stop on by. This town puts on a wonderful celebration!
Never miss a post — it’s free!
More info about Kanab, Utah:
Other Fun Independence Day Celebrations:
- 4th of July in Cody, Wyoming – The Cody Stampede Parade! 07/04/18
- An Old Time Country 4th of July – Custer, South Dakota 07/08/17
Other blog posts from Southwestern Utah:
- “Healer of Angels” – The Eagle Whisperer – Martin Tyner of Southwest Wildlife Foundation 09/18/16
- A Utah Backcountry Adventure! 09/27/19
- Best Friends Animal Sanctuary & Southwest Wildlife Foundation in Utah 09/15/08
- Bryce Canyon – Hiking The Rim & Navajo Loop + A Tourist Time-lapse! 09/29/16
- Bryce Canyon – Rainbow Point – Bristlecone Pines and Sweeping Vistas 11/01/16
- Bryce Canyon Gone Wild – Tempests, Rainbows & Wildlife 10/09/16
- Bryce Canyon in Winter – Snow and Lace on the Red Rock Spires! 01/25/19
- Bryce Canyon National Park – “Mossy Cave” – Mystery Waterfall! 10/18/16
- Bryce Canyon National Park – Fairyland Trail – A Beautiful Hike! 10/02/16
- Bryce Canyon National Park – Inspiration Point – OMG! 09/27/16
- Bryce Canyon, UT – Fairyland of Pink Turrets 08/25/08
- Capitol Reef National Park Utah – Awe-inspiring! 06/25/12
- Casto Canyon Trail – A Delightful ATV / UTV Ride! 08/23/19
- Cedar Breaks National Monument – A Hidden Jewel in Utah 09/23/16
- Cedar Breaks National Monument – Glorious Amphitheater of Red Rocks! 07/26/19
- Cedar Breaks National Monument – Wild Skies & Summer Storms 08/02/19
- Cedar Breaks National Monument in Utah – Better Than Bryce? 08/30/11
- Cedar Breaks Wildflowers + Stunning Brian Head Overlook 08/16/19
- Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park – Shape Shifting in the Sand! 11/08/17
- Dixie National Forest Utah – Caves and Hikes 08/31/11
- Fish Lake Scenic Byway 06/17/12
- Fish Lake Utah – Alpine Beauty & Brilliant Stars in Dark Skies! 09/06/19
- Fish Lake Utah – Fun Things To Do in the Lakes and Mountains 09/13/19
- Fish Lake Utah – Wildlife and Aspen Groves 06/25/12
- Grand Staircase Escalante Nat’l Monument – Lower Calf Creek Falls Hike 11/11/16
- Johnson Canyon Movie Set – A Spooky Ghost Town – Happy Halloween! 10/27/17
- Kanab – Hub for the National Parks + Gorgeous Canyons Nearby! 11/12/17
- Kanab & Alton, UT – Whoa!!! 09/29/08
- Parowan UT – Vermillion Castle and County Fair 09/25/08
- Red Canyon – Arches Trail – Windows & Hoodoos in Utah! 08/30/19
- Red Canyon Utah and the Bryce Canyon Bike Trail! 10/13/16
- Red Canyon Utah is an Overlooked Treasure 09/02/11
- Sand Hollow Side-by-Side UTV/ATV Adventure Rally – Test Drives in the Dunes! 11/26/17
- Sand Hollow State Park, Utah – An Oasis in the Desert! 11/21/17
- The Burr Trail – A Fabulous Side Trip on Utah’s Scenic Byway 12 11/15/16
- The Day the Sheep Moved In! 08/09/19
- Utah Scenic Byway 12 RV Trip – Driving An All American Road! 11/03/16
- Zion National Park “West” RV Trip – Gorgeous Kolob Canyons! 12/22/16
- Zion National Park RV Trip – One AWESOME Canyon! 12/15/16
- Zion National Park’s Hidden Jewels – Off the Beaten Path in an RV! 12/06/17
- Zion NP, Kodachrome Basin & Snow Canyon, UT – Great Red Rocks! 10/31/07
Our most recent posts:
- A Hawaii Vacation! 11/01/19
- Williams, Arizona – Home of the Grand Canyon Railway! 10/25/19
- Drag Boat Races in AZ – Top Speed FUN on the Colorado River! 10/18/19
- Seligman, Arizona – Birthplace of Route 66! 10/11/19
- Heavenly Theatrics in Utah’s Red Rocks 10/04/19