One of the most interesting booths at the RV Show in Quartzsite, Arizona a few weeks ago was Amazon CamperForce, an RV workamping program designed by Amazon specifically for full-time and seasonal RVers. We spent some time chatting with a delightful CamperForce veteran, Nancy, and were very intrigued by the program.
Amazon has been an unusual and forward thinking company since its inception, and this program has taken the RV workamping world by storm. Nancy and her husband have been a part of Amazon’s CamperForce for several years now, and they have found it is a fabulous way for them to pick up a cool $10,000 each year between October and Christmas!
Every fall, Amazon needs extra labor in their shipping warehouses to get products into boxes and out the door in time for Christmas. Full-time RVers love to make money on the road without making long-term time commitments. So there is a perfect employer/employee match between the two.
Nancy explained that from September until December 23, Amazon hires RVers at a rate of $10.00 – $11.25 an hour to work 40 hours or more per week, starting on the date of their choosing. There are opportunities for bonuses and wage perks too.
The work ranges from receiving to stowing, sorting, shipping and picking, and is physically very demanding. As Nancy said with a laugh, it’s a great workout program and she always drops a few pounds! For those that want to fill up their RV travel kitty quickly, she says you can work as much as 60 hours a week. She also mentioned that CamperForce employees are guaranteed work, so even if things get slow for a day or two, full-time employees are sent home while CamperForce workers are given things to do.
There are RV parks in the communities where Amazon has its warehouses, and workers’ RV sites are free. Nancy talked of how a whole community spirit envelops the CamperForce workers each fall, and how they look forward to seeing each other from season to season. A neat benefit for the communities where the warehouses are located is that a big group of RVers shows up every fall, contributing to the local economy and giving them a boost!
Their warehouses are located in the following locations, and they start hiring as early as February the year before:
- Campbellsville, Kentucky
- Haslet, Texas
- Murfreesboro, Tennessee
I was really surprised when she mentioned that last year there were 800 applications for 500 positions, and that all the positions were filled by March!!
I had heard of this program before, but didn’t know a whole lot about it, so I was excited to be able to learn a little at the RV show. What a cool gig for full-time RVers!
Several full-timers have written about their Amazon CamperForce experiences on their blogs. Here are a few links from folks who have really been there and done that, as well as Amazon’s official CamperForce link:
- Amazon Camperforce – Official Info from Amazon.com
- About Amazon’s CamperForce – Interstellar Orchard
- CamperForce Recap and What’s Next – Interstellar Orchard
- Workamping at Amazon – Was it worth it? – Technomadia
- Amazon Camperforce Campground Partners – Amazon has partnered with these campgrounds
There are more links below!
Never miss a post — it’s free!
Related Posts about Full-time RVing Finances and Earning Money on the Road:
- Full-time RV Costs and Budget – A review of our RVing expenses from 2007 to 2014.
- Workcamping On the Road – How RVers Make Money While Full-time RVing
- How We Saved Thousand$$ with Our RV Warranty – Our 4 year RV warranty paid for itself over 3 times in just 14 months!!
- Transitioning to the Full-time RV Lifestyle – Taking the Leap and Which Rig is Best??
- Full-time RV Lifestyle Tips – Mail, Domicile, Insurance and Saving Money on Camping Costs
- What Is It Like to RV Full-time? – Anecdotes and insights from our life on the road.
- Index of Articles about Full-time RVing – All of the articles on this blog with tips for living in an RV
Our most recent posts:
- Point Sublime – A Wild Ride to a Stunning Overlook in Grand Canyon! 07/12/19
- 4th of July in Kanab, Utah – Stars & Stripes in the Red Rocks! 07/05/19
- Saddle Mountain Overlook – A Different View of the Grand Canyon! 06/28/19
- Grand Canyon’s North Rim – Breathtaking Bright Angel Point! 06/21/19