We are very excited to announce that we are going to be writing and providing photos for a regular column in Trailer Life Magazine!
For many years, the back page of Trailer Life has featured the unique stories and insights of RVer and writer Bill Graves.
Bill’s unusual tales from the less traveled roads of America have been such a delight to readers that we’ve heard people say that the first thing they do with Trailer Life is to flip it over and read Bill’s column on the back page.
I admit that I have done the same thing!
His stories provided a wonderful glimpse of life in America off the beaten path, and he ended each column with a fun tag line: “Welcome to America’s Outback.”
Bill has decided to retire from writing his column, and Trailer Life has asked us and travel writer Lisa Densmore Ballard to take turns luring readers to the back page.
We are thrilled to have been given this honor.
Trailer Life has named the new column “Roads to Adventure,” and we’ve come up with a new and different format for the column that will highlight our love of photography.
Each column will feature a beautiful photograph from a special place we’ve seen in our travels and will include a brief description of our experiences there.
We will be writing this column every other month beginning with the January, 2017, issue. Our first column is about the wonderful sweeping bend in the Colorado River that RVers can see when they make a trek to Horseshoe Bend, Arizona.
This is a gorgeous spot that is well worth making a detour to see. We wrote in detail about our experience at Horseshoe Bend and shared lots of photos in the following blog post:
We were utterly smitten when we visited, both by the immense size and scale of the cliffs and by the crazy antics tourists did on out on the hairy edge. We took endless photos, and one of Mark’s finest is the one that Trailer Life chose for our debut column.
Sunset was a wild time at Horseshoe Bend with hoards of people taking selfies and photographers lining up at the edge, tripod to tripod, watching the sun slip away on the horizon. Sunrise, however, was peaceful and still and hauntingly beautiful.
Even though the sun rose at our backs, it was a thrill to watch the shadows disappear down the rock walls under the pink sky in front of us as it climbed higher and higher in the sky.
We captured many wonderful images at Horseshoe Bend, and one of Mark’s just won the Photo of the Day at Steve’s Digicams a few days ago. This is the fifth photo of his that has been featured on that website.
Both for seasoned RVers and for those that are new to the hobby, Trailer Life is an informative magazine that offers lots of RV tech tips, overviews of major RV upgrade projects as well as enticing travel destination features.
You can subscribe to the print and digital editions at these links:
We have lots more fun destinations in store for Trailer Life readers from the many places we’ve visited over the years, and we hope that our spot on the back page will be one that readers turn to.
Never miss a post — it’s free!
Other blog posts from our travels in northeastern Arizona:
- Canyon Country Highlights – Lake Powell, Horseshoe Bend & More! 02/01/19
- Canyon de Chelly – Breathtaking Views Under Vibrant Skies 05/09/17
- Blue Mesa Trail – Lavender Beauty in Petrified Forest National Park 05/05/17
- Petrified Forest National Park RV Trip – Magic in Jasper Forest 04/28/17
- Getting Our Kicks on Route 66 by RV in AZ – Cool Springs, Winslow & Holbrook 04/24/17
- “Cliff Dwellers” on Arizona’s Vermillion Cliffs Scenic Drive – A Fun Stop! 12/03/16
- Navajo National Monument, Monument Valley and Bears Ears 03/28/16
- Lees Ferry & Marble Canyon AZ + Pretty Paria River Hike 03/26/16
- Horseshoe Bend Overlook – Page, Arizona – Stunning! 03/24/16
- A Glimpse of the Navajo (or “Diné” as they call themselves) 12/16/14
- Mysteries in the Navajo Nation, Arizona 11/29/14
- Wire Pass Trail – Slot Canyon Hiking! 05/22/14
- Canyon de Chelly, AZ – A Canyon of Indian Cliff Dwellings 06/27/12
Our most recent posts:
- Stunning Grand Canyon with a Private View at Timp Point 07/19/19
- Point Sublime – A Wild Ride to a Stunning Overlook in Grand Canyon! 07/12/19
- 4th of July in Kanab, Utah – Stars & Stripes in the Red Rocks! 07/05/19
- Saddle Mountain Overlook – A Different View of the Grand Canyon! 06/28/19
- Grand Canyon’s North Rim – Breathtaking Bright Angel Point! 06/21/19