We’ve been hearing the yelps of coyotes every night lately here in the Tonto National Forest. How fun! Even better, we’ve been woken several times by clip-clop of wild horses running past our rig. In the mornings, the horses stick around a while, munching on the grass and chasing each other around. The other day, one came running towards me, his mane flying, and I was so excited to get a photo of this wonderful and free spirited animal.
The horses can be seen from viewpoints on the spectacularly scenic Bush Highway along the Salt River in Phoenix, Arizona. But they are easiest to find when you aren’t out looking for them!
The Travel Channel sent a crew out with helicopters, photographers and film people to get footage for a new show they are producing about treasured landscapes in America. We caught up with them in a viewing area, and found out their helicopters had counted 70 horses. But the crew on the ground hadn’t seen any that day!!
We got really lucky down by the river’s edge where we watched them getting their evening drink. Two of them strolled slowly side by side, stride for stride, nibbling the grass while the glassy water mirrored their reflection.
Never miss a post — it’s free!
Related posts about these awesome wild horses:
- Wild Horses of the Salt River in Phoenix 04/25/14
- Wild Horses! 11/27/14
- A Wedding Photo Shoot Among The Wild Horses! 01/02/15
- Fall Colors and Wildlife on the Sonoran Desert Rivers in Arizona 12/22/17
- Rainbows and Wild Horses in the Arizona Desert! 02/08/19
Our most recent posts:
- Willow Lake (& more) around the Granite Dells in Prescott AZ 06/07/23
- Granite Dells at Watson Lake near Prescott AZ – SPECTACULAR! 05/25/23
- Lynx Lake, Arizona – Great RV Camping Near Prescott! 05/17/23
More of our Latest Posts are in the top MENU above.New to this site? Visit our Home page to read more about our full-time traveling lifestyle and find out where we keep all the good stuff. If you like what you see, we'd love for you to subscribe to receive our latest posts!
Amazing shots! So beautiful….thank you for posting these!