September 2019 – We spent a lot of time roaming around in the backcountry of Utah in recent weeks, and some of our best days were when we the skies grew gloomy or when the sun and clouds chased each other across the beautiful vistas.
Some of the trails and two-track roads we ventured out on started out simply enough.
And then within a few minutes we’d find ourselves staring at the most amazing view from up on a plateau.
Sometimes storm clouds would gather, and we’d notice the patterns they formed in the heavens complemented the patterns of the rock formations on the ground.
As we would gawk at the mysterious wonder of the beauty before us, Buddy would keep it real and look for chipmunks in the bushes!
There are vast networks of trails and two track roads through all the Utah National Forests, and the possibility of discovery lured us down one trail after another.
On some excursions the dramatic views changed with every turn in the road or trail. Our little Trail Scout would lead the way, but sometimes he’d have to run back to us to see what was taking so long (we’d be busy with our cameras!).
Shades of orange and red dominated many landscapes, but we found the most curious patch of yellow rocks mixed in with the orange ones in one spot.
The cloud patterns were astonishing and everchanging. One day, we watched one group of clouds that looked like space ships moving across the sky. It was amazing how these clouds and others seemed to mirror the shapes of the rock formations below.
One afternoon the sun came out and chased the big fluffy clouds all over the sky. The sun spread warmth and light across the hills only to have the clouds sweep everything into darkness for a brief moment. Then the sun would return and embrace the land once again.
Utah continues to be our favorite state, and it’s easy to see why: breathtaking views like these are all over the place. It’s no wonder that lots of folks say Utah’s most minor destinations would likely be National Parks if they were located somewhere else!
Never miss a post — it’s free!
- Arches National Park Utah – A Playground of Soaring Red Rock Bridges! 04/21/16
- Canyon Country Highlights – Lake Powell, Horseshoe Bend & More! 02/01/19
- Canyonlands National Park UT – Island in the Sky (and Night Skies!) 04/28/16
- Canyonlands National Park Utah – Hiking in the Needles District! 04/12/16
- Dead Horse Point State Park, Utah – Magical Sunrises! 04/23/16
- Goblin Valley State Park Utah – One Gigantic Playground! 04/20/18
- Goblin Valley, UT – Where the Ghosts Are 10/16/07
- Mexican Hat, Utah – A Special Hoodoo in the Red Rocks 04/05/19
- Moab Utah – Red Rocks and Snowcapped Mountains 04/14/16
- Monument Valley & Hite Scenic Overlook – Stone Towers from Below & Above! 03/15/19
- Natural Bridges National Monument & Utah’s Bicentennial Highway 06/15/12
- Newspaper Rock Utah – Petroglyphs and Rock Art from the Ancients 04/06/16
- Paria Rimrocks “Toadstools” Hike to A Hidden Canyon! 05/25/14
- San Rafael Swell, UT – Pictographs & Dinosaur Prints 10/12/07
- SE Utah – A Mars Colony, Wide-Angle Photography & Snowy Mountains! 03/22/19
- Traces of Antiquity and the Not-So-Ancient in Utah! 03/29/19
- Utah Scenic Byway 24 RV Trip – Capitol Reef National Park 04/16/18
- Valley of the Gods & Goosenecks State Park, Utah – Beautiful! 04/04/16
- Wire Pass Trail – Slot Canyon Hiking! 05/22/14
Our most recent posts:
- Drag Boat Races in AZ – Top Speed FUN on the Colorado River! 10/18/19
- Seligman, Arizona – Birthplace of Route 66! 10/11/19
- A Utah Backcountry Adventure! 09/27/19
- Fish Lake Utah – Fun Things To Do in the Lakes and Mountains 09/13/19
- Fish Lake Utah – Alpine Beauty & Brilliant Stars in Dark Skies! 09/06/19