January 2016 – A lot of folks that have never been to Arizona think of it as a very hot and dry place. That’s true in certain parts of the state at certain times of the year, but it isn’t always so!
This past week the humidity level stayed above 80% for five straight days, and the rain fell relentlessly.
The stunner of it all was that this moisture showed up as a beautiful blanket of snow in the mountains around the desert floor.
What a great reward after a soggy week in our RV. We threw open the windows, even though it was only 50 degrees out, and let the sun pour in!
This part of the desert can hit 120 degrees at the peak of summer, but the overnight lows have been flirting with the freezing point on the thermometer all this week. Nonetheless, the occasional die hard boater has cast off on Roosevelt Lake.
A pack of coyotes lives nearby, and we’ve been hearing them a lot in the mornings and evenings. The other day we spotted one just a few feet away.
What a gorgeous animal! I was delighted when he turned to look at me.
And the scenery wasn’t bad either!!
We were just loving the colors…
We hopped in the truck to take a drive and were amused to see cars and trucks coming down from the mountains with snow on the roofs. There were winter warnings for drivers too.
Snow doesn’t last long in these parts, so we snapped as many pics as we could.
This area is beautiful at any time of year, but the backdrop of the snowcapped mountains with the saguaro cactus and Roosevelt Lake was just fantastic.
Crossing the mountains on our way to Globe, the distant rippling mountain peaks were covered with snow.
This was a wonderful fairy dusting of winter. Just enough to give us the beauty from a distance without having to shovel!
The daytime temps warmed up to the low 60’s and the snow began to vanish from the peaks in no time. But what a neat few days we had here in “hot” and “dry” Arizona!!
Never miss a post — it’s free!
Our most recent posts:
- 2005 Arctic Fox 860 Truck Camper – Grand Tour! 07/16/21
- Greetings! Long Time No See!! 06/25/21
- We’re Alive and Well and Camping in Arizona! 06/05/20
- A Hawaii Vacation! 11/01/19
- Williams, Arizona – Home of the Grand Canyon Railway! 10/25/19
More of our Latest Posts are in the top MENU above.
For images of Central Arizona in warmer weather, check out these links:
- Central Arizona RV Travels – What we’ve seen and done with our RV in central AZ
- Tonto National Monument’s Cliff Dwellings – A cool workamping opportunity
- Golden Hues at Roosevelt Lake in Autumn – No snow here!
- Changes Afoot in Tonto National Forest – Pretty pics but sad tidings
- Where is this part of Arizona? – Google Maps