The August 2015 issue of Trailer Life Magazine is featuring our article about beautiful Sun Valley, Idaho. Entitled Under the Idaho Sun, it is the third feature article we have published in a magazine about this area since we first went there in the summer of 2009 (the others were in Highways Magazine, August 2010, and RV Journal, Summer 2011). Sun Valley is just that special!
Some folks think of Sun Valley as a winter destination, but it is loaded with activities and events all summer long, from outdoor pursuits like hiking and biking to cultural pursuits like free symphony concerts and art walks to unusual events like outdoor ice skating shows and figure skating competitions.
Trailer Life is on newsstands now, and they have also posted the article online at their website here: Under The Idaho Sun
One of the most unique annual gatherings is the Sun Valley Road Rally where folks with deep pockets and fast cars drive as fast as they can on a two mile stretch of the stunning Sawtooth Scenic Byway for charity. The 2016 edition of the Road Rally took place last weekend.
We saw the first edition of the race when it was won by a college age kid, along with his sister and parents, took a turn at the wheel of the family Porsche. He hit 188 mph.
Last year we watched it again when it was won by a young entrepreneur who hit 246 mph in his $3 million Bugatti Veyron. Perhaps even more impressive, though, was that a little old 81 year old granny hit 161 mph in her flashy yellow Corvette.
Stories like these develop a life of their own on the internet, and yesterday I noticed that my Sun Valley Road Rally blog post from last year was getting lots of hits from people clicking through from msn.com. Wow! When I looked into it further, I found out that the Spanish version of msn.com had posted an article about older folks doing adventurous things in their later years, and they talked about the race car driving granny, Shirley Veine, whom I had spotlighted. If you can read Spanish (and even if you can’t, because it’s a hoot), check out the MSN article here:
MSN (Spanish Edition): The Fastest Grandmother In The World!
Watching a car race on the open road is just one of the many fun things to do in Sun Valley, and we have enjoyed ourselves immensely each time we have taken our RV to the area.
Trailer Life Magazine is published by Good Sam Club, and if you join the club you get a few issues of the magazine as part of the sign-up package. You can also buy a year’s subscription to the magazine here: Subscribe to Trailer Life. It’s a good magazine that covers all aspects of living the RV lifestyle with a towable RV.
To read more from our RV travels to Sun Valley, visit these links:
- Sun Valley Idaho – An RV Traveler’s Delight in Ketchum, ID! 09/16/16Sun Valley Idaho is a great RV travel destination with loads of outdoor activities and free symphony concerts in August.
- Craters of the Moon + Cataclysms from Sun Valley ID to Alpine WY 09/02/14Volcanic cinders at Craters of the Moon NM capped our cataclysmic theme of wildfires and floods from Sun Valley ID to Alpine WY!
- The Artsy Side of Sun Valley, ID 08/26/14Sun Valley has free goodies for every taste: art walks (with wine), symphony concerts, and camping.
- Ice Queens of Sun Valley, ID 08/21/14After biking the trails between the mountains, we enjoyed some beautiful figure skating competitions in Sun Valley Idaho.
- Sun Valley Road Rally – Go Granny Go! 08/16/14From an 81 year old granny to young gazillionaires racing Bugattis, the car racing was on at the Sun Valley Road Rally.
- Sun Valley Idaho – Music, History & Celebrities 08/15/09Sun Valley Resort has it all: outdoor ice skating, a historic lodge lined with celebrity pics, and nightly outdoor symphony concerts.
- Sun Valley Idaho – RV Camping, Car Racing & Skating Legends 08/06/09Sun Valley ID (Ketchum) always has something going on, from free movies to car races. And the camping is fantastic!
- Sun Valley & Ketchum ID – Beauty & Fun in the Mountains! 07/25/09Ketchum ID, home of Sun Valley Resort, is so charming we stayed for a month soaking up the great atmosphere & views.
Never miss a post — it’s free!
Our most recent posts:
- Spring Has Sprung! – Sweet Days at Roosevelt Lake, Arizona 04/20/19
- Black Hills Back Country Byway – Spring Flowers in Arizona! 04/12/19
- Mexican Hat, Utah – A Special Hoodoo in the Red Rocks 04/05/19
- Traces of Antiquity and the Not-So-Ancient in Utah! 03/29/19
- SE Utah – A Mars Colony, Wide-Angle Photography & Snowy Mountains! 03/22/19
More of our Latest Posts are in the top MENU above.