We hung our hummingbird feeder on our trailer window and lots of Rufous hummingbirds stopped by for a drink.
They got so familiar with us and our rig that they hovered around us as we moved around our campsite. At times they’d hover right in front of our faces, as if to say, “Thanks for opening the bar!”
It was a blast trying to catch these guys in action as they flew all around us. Usually, just as we’d get the camera focused, they’d zip away. But every so often we got a great shot before they zoomed off!
As the weeks passed the smoke from the many western wildfires clouded the air. It was eerie to be living in a world that had quietly gone gray! As we drove into northern South Dakota the world seemed to be hiding behind a veil.
The air was thick. For the first time in our lives we heard local weather forecasts that called for “patchy smoke.” We’ve been in plenty of places that were smoky from wildfires, but smokiness was never predicted in the upcoming weather forecast!
However, smoky air has its beautiful side. When the full moon rose it took on a fabulous shade of bright pink and orange as it climbed over the horizon.
Fortunately, a storm front blew in and rain fell for two days. It was odd to be back in sweatshirts with our heater running at midday, but the air outside was wonderfully cleansed by the pouring rain.
The next day the sun was able to shine once again. We came across a little outcropping of unusual rock formations and badlands tucked into a fold in the vast prairie landscape, and the sky glowed lavender in the early morning.
Even Buddy was excited to see the sun!
We wandered around among the rock formations, marveling at the exotic shapes Mother Nature had created.
At sunset we saw another beautiful display of pink in the sky.
We drove a little further and found the town of Buffalo which boasts a population of 380. On the edge of town we found a directory listing all the businesses and services that can be found in Buffalo. There was something very charming about these signs.
A pretty white church in town caught our eye. And the wood paneling inside the post office harkened back to a bygone era.
There are a few places to stop for a bite to eat in Buffalo.
One cafe was offering free beer! Well…almost.
We’d seen lots of cattle out on the ranches as we had driven through the area, and of course all the cows had tags in their ears. I’d never thought much about where these tags come from, but inside the hardware store we found a whole display of cow ear tags!
In another store there was a pair of swinging doors that led to a dark space lit with a neon sign that said, “Casino.” Why not slip inside and pull the handle?!
From friendly hummingbirds to smoky orange full moons to crazy badlands to a tiny town on the prairie, we’ve loved our off the beaten path travels in South Dakota!
Never miss a post — it’s free!
- Location of Buffalo, South Dakota – Google Maps
- An excellent article on how some smart folks are minimizing the impact of wildfires in their neighborhood
Other blog posts from South Dakota:
- Americas Mailbox – Mail Forwarding & So Much More in South Dakota! 05/10/19
- An Old Time Country 4th of July – Custer, South Dakota 07/08/17
- Badlands National Park – Rugged Beauty on a South Dakota RV Trip 09/21/17
- Black Hills National Forest, SD, RV Boondocking – Camping with Cows! 07/11/17
- Black Hills, SD – Mt. Rushmore and More 09/29/07
- Custer South Dakota Highlights on an RV Trip 08/06/17
- Custer State Park Burros & Bison – Close Encounters of the Animal Kind 07/31/17
- Custer State Park Wildlife Loop Road – Where the Animals Are! 07/26/17
- Fall River Balloon Festival in Hot Springs, South Dakota 01/19/18
- Soap Box Derby & Barrel Races – A Labor Day to Remember! 09/07/18
- Solar Eclipse 2017: Time-Lapse Videos from the South Dakota Badlands 08/21/17
- Sturgis Motorcycle Rally – Wild and Free in South Dakota’s Black Hills! 08/10/17
- The “Right to Vote” is a PRIVILEGE Some Nomadic RVers Might Lose 02/14/16
- Wall Drug – An Iconic Pit Stop on a South Dakota RV Road Trip 09/09/17
Our most recent posts:
- Where All News is Good News – At the Saguache Crescent in Colorado! 11/25/22
- Pomeroy, Washington – An Impromptu Sunday Stroll! 10/29/22
- Lakes and Light in Wyoming and Colorado 10/14/22
- Goldline RV Cover – Winter protection for our new trailer! 09/23/22
- Finding Enchantment…in Encampment, Wyoming! 09/11/22