April 2018 – Bear Lake is a stunning lake in northern Utah that shimmers in gorgeous shades of turquoise, and the drive to get there via Logan Pass is truly dramatic.
In late April the mountains behind the pretty farmlands were still covered with snow.
As we crested the summit of Logan Pass, it started to get foggy, and the snow crept close to the road. Soon we were driving between snow drifts.
So, when we descended the far side of the pass and the fog began to lift and the snow vanished, it was a fabulous shock when Bear Lake suddenly burst into view. Wow!!
As the sun and clouds played hide and seek, the lake changed shades of aquamarine and a rich blue.
Bear Lake is immensely popular in the summertime, and the communities along the shore are filled with ice cream shops and burger joints. But when we were there it felt like we had the lake to ourselves. The village of Laketown at the south end of the lake was really quiet and none of the summertime shops were open.
There were a few fishing boats out on the water, and a kayak paddled by a family of ducks.
The ducks were unusual looking.
We heard the haunting cry of loons and then spotted them floating around on the lake.
One day we drove around the lake and marveled at the beauty. Farms and occasional homes grace the shore.
One house really caught our eye. It was the home from the nursery rhyme about the old woman who lived in a shoe! We stopped and took a long look and noticed that the walls were painted with murals of nursery rhymes. Jack’s Beanstalk ran right up the back of the shoe!
Farm and ranch land runs right down to the shore of Bear Lake, and as we drove with the windows down Buddy hung out the window to get a good look at the cows we passed.
Early spring can bring some crazy weather, and the lake was quite rough at times. We loved the jade green hues in the curl of the waves.
As the sun set, the sky lit up over the mountains.
Mark put his camera down on the ground to capture a dramatic image of waves breaking on the shore with the sun setting behind the mountains. When we looked at it later we both said, “No need to go Iceland for a shot like this… We’ve got it all right here in Utah!”
Where we had fire in the sky with a bright orange sunset one night, on another afternoon the day slipped away into pastel shades of pink, peach and lavender that reflected in the undulating water.
On a few occasions the water was perfectly calm, and Buddy just loved wading out in it.
Bear Lake is incredibly photogenic, and we had a lot of fun just watching the lake transform before our eyes as we snapped pics here and there.
In early Spring the weather varied from ideal sunny days to blustery cold days to freezing rainy days. For photography they were all sublime!
During the day we captured some wonderful images of seagulls landing in the water and taking off again. As night fell the birds all flew off to roost. A lone duck made his way across the water in the last light of sunset.
At night the sky was brilliantly clear. Before the moon rose, the stars were especially bright, and we loved seeing the stars of Orion before the constellation slipped over the far horizon.
If you are traveling through northern Utah, Bear Lake is well worth visiting. The few campers we saw pre-season told stories of how lively and fun it is for families come mid-summer, but even if you get there a few months before or after the warm weather months, it is a great RV destination.
Never miss a post — it’s free!
More info about Bear Lake:
Other blog posts from Northern Utah:
- Utah Back Roads – Lakeside RVing Near Salt Lake City 04/30/18
- Escapod Teardrop Trailers – Rugged Campers for Off-Road Adventure! 04/27/18
- Strawberry Reservoir, Utah – Springtime Beauty with Ice & Snow! 04/23/18
- Dinosaur National Monument, UT – More than fossilized dinosaur bones! 10/12/12
- Vernal, UT – Colorful Gateway to Dinosaur National Monument 10/05/12
- Flaming Gorge Utah – Fiery canyons, a cool river, and nearly tame bighorn sheep 10/02/12
- Bear Lake, UT – The Caribbean of the Rockies 07/15/12
- Mirror Lake Scenic Byway Utah – Fishing and Fun! 07/08/12
- Provo Canyon & Alpine Loop Scenic Byways in Utah 07/02/12
- Logan Pass, Bear Lake, Mt. Nephi, & Cedar City, Utah 09/28/09
- Flaming Gorge Utah – Vibrant Hues 09/30/07
Our most recent posts:
- RVing Through History – 80 Years of RV Travel! 11/09/18
- RV/MH Hall of Fame + Elkhart (RV Heart) Indiana 11/02/18
- Halloween Camping – RV Witches & Goblins at Michigan State Parks! 10/26/18
- Mackinac Island, Michigan – A Precious Walk Back in Time! 10/19/18
- Fall Foliage in Michigan’s U.P. + Lake Superior at Sunset 10/12/18