April 9, 2013 – When we hit the shore to do some sightseeing, we both always have quite a collection of stuff to bring with us: hat, sunglasses, camera, spare lenses, reading glasses, Hoodman loupe (to see what’s on the back of the camera), spare filters, wallet, marina key (now that we’re living the high life in a marina).
My lightweight shorts generally have no pockets, so much of this stuff ends up around my neck where it is easy to reach when I want it. Throughout the day, I shuffle all this gear around, grabbing each item as needed.
The sunglasses go on and off as we walk outdoors and indoors. Same with the hat which, when off, slips down my back and leaves the strap choking me. The sunglasses get swapped with the reading glasses when I need to actually see what i’m looking at up close (the sunglasses usually end up on the hat – just don’t forget they’re there!). The loop comes out after I take a picture to see if ths pic’s any good. And the camera has to be ready at a moment’s notice for that really cool, unexpected shot.
But it never fails: we’ll be walking along somewhere and something magical will happen near us. I go to grab my camera and end up in a tangle of straps. And what a mess it is if I’ve got an ice cream cone in my hand!!
A fellow watching me wrestling with my spider web of straps one time began to chuckle. I tugged and struggled to unravel the snarl, and he just shook his head and grinned: “That looks like a tourist tangle!”
Aha – it has a name!!
Now whenever either of us ends up with both arms flailing around our heads, gear dangling precariously as we fight our way free, we just laugh out loud and cry: “Help help! I’m caught in the Tourist Tangle!”
Never miss a post — it’s free!
Other blog posts that give a glimpse of what it’s like to live on a sailboat:
- Life on the Hook in Mexico – What do you do all day when you’re cruising in the tropics? 11/17/14
- Oh, That’s Just Swell! – Life on a Boat that ROLLS At Anchor!! 05/17/13
- Snap, Crackle, Pop – Fishy Sounds from Deep Under Our Boat! 04/17/13
- And God said: “Let the Beer Flow” 03/30/13
- Showering on the hook = A carnival ride with your eyes closed! 03/28/13
- Surfing the dinghy = Crash landings on the beach! 03/18/13
- Swabbing the decks underway! 03/16/13
- Cruising = Fixing your boat in exotic places! 03/02/13
Our most recent posts:
- Pocket Flashlight Review – Lumintop EDC25 & Lumintop SD26 Flashlights 05/19/17
- Eggs & Aliens in Bisti/De-Na-Zin Wilderness (Bisti Badlands) 05/15/17
- RV Plumbing Tips – Cleaning RV Faucets, Sink Drains & Shower Wands 05/11/17
- Canyon de Chelly – Breathtaking Views Under Vibrant Skies 05/09/17
- Blue Mesa Trail – Lavender Beauty in Petrified Forest National Park 05/05/17
More of our Latest Posts are in the MENU above.