Occasionally a cow standing by the side of the road watched us pass.
The road climbed and fell and swooped this way and that in big wide bends and tight hairpin turns.
There wasn’t a lot of traffic, as this road goes between tiny communities in a vast area. Many of the vehicles on the road were RVs.
But this drive isn’t for the faint of heart or for RVs that are underpowered. One of the climbs we did was a 14% grade! We stopped at the top to get a photo of the sign for cars and trucks that were starting the descent.
As we had hoped, the truck didn’t even flinch even once on this stunning scenic drive. Lighter on their feet, lots of motorcycles were having a blast!
This would also be a stunning road for riding a bicycle, and we saw a van from Trek Tours providing sag support to their riders.
We had driven this route years ago with our popup tent trailer, but this is a road that is worth driving many times. Such views!!
There are many things to see and do along the way on Utah’s Scenic Byway 12. Kodachrome Basin State Park, which was named for the film because the colors are so magnificent, is a true highlight.
We didn’t stop at Kodachrome Basin State Park this time, but we did the jaw-dropping Burr Trail drive, which we’ll share in an upcoming blog post.
We also hiked to the majestic Lower Calf Creek Falls, which we’ll share soon too (smile).
But for RVers who don’t have the time to make any stops on Utah’s Scenic Byway 12, the road itself is so breathtaking that it is well worth a detour to experience.
To help you plan an RV trip on Scenic Byway 12 in Utah, there are some links below.
Never miss a post — it’s free!
More info about taking an RV trip on Scenic Byway 12 in Utah:
- Utah Scenic Byway 12 – Tourism Website
- Utah Scenic Byway 12 Map – Tourist Website Map
- Location of Scenic Byway 12 in Utah – Interactive Google Map
- America’s National Scenic Byways Program – Defunded and now officially defunct.
More blog posts from our RV trips on Utah’s Scenic Byway 12:
- The Burr Trail – A Fabulous Side Trip on Utah’s Scenic Byway 12 11/15/16
- Lower Calf Creek Falls Hike – Grand Staircase Escalante Nat’l Monument 11/11/16
- Red Canyon Utah and the Bryce Canyon Bike Trail! 10/13/16
- Red Canyon Utah – An Overlooked Treasure 09/02/11
- Zion NP, Kodachrome Basin & Snow Canyon, UT – Great Red Rocks! 10/31/07
Other blog posts from our RV travels about magical and historic scenic drives:
- “Going to the Sun” from Glacier National Park’s East Side – Breathtaking! 08/21/16
- Icefields Parkway – True Blue Lakes, Avalanches & Grouse! 06/16/16
- Icefields Parkway – Canadian Rockies Scenic Drive – WOW! 06/14/16
- Schoodic National Scenic Byway – Downeast Maine at its best! 07/04/15
- Acadia National Park – Alluring Beauty on the Maine Coast 07/01/15
- Blue Ridge Parkway (Virginia) – Waterfalls & Rhododendrons 06/18/15
- Blue Ridge Parkway (North Carolina) – Wildflowers Everywhere! 06/07/15
- Georgia’s Antebellum Trail – Milledgeville, Eatonton & Madison 05/23/15
- Crater Lake National Park in Oregon – Bluer than blue! 06/13/14
- Natchez Trace Parkway, MS – Echoes of History! 04/30/08
Our most recent posts:
- Getting Our Kicks on Route 66 by RV in AZ – Cool Springs, Winslow & Holbrook 04/24/17
- RV Camping with the Rock Art Petroglyphs in Gila Bend, AZ 04/21/17
- Is RV Solar Affordable? 3 Solar Solutions for RVs and Boats 04/14/17
- Ta Prohm Temple – Exotic Ancient Ruins at Angkor in Cambodia 04/09/17
- Spring in Sarasota FL + Bryce Canyon’s Night Skies – in Trailer Life 04/04/17
<-Previous || Next->