Our RV travels have taken us to Nevada many times. Two of our favorite spots are Valley of Fire State Park and Red Rock State Park just outside of Las Vegas. Those places are filled with red rock canyons and exotic rock formation, and they are so spectacular they are worthy of many return visits.
Cathedral Gorge is another stunning state park a few hours north of Las Vegas, and nearby Pioche is a step back in time to the wild west. South of Las Vegas, on the Arizona border, the city of Laughlin is known for its casinos, but we discovered some neat petroglyphs nearby.
In 2014, we took our RV through some less visited parts of Nevada that we really enjoyed. In Ely we watched a fabulous car race on the open roads, at the Bonneville Salt Flats we saw where many land speed records have taken place, and outside of Elko we drove through beautiful Lamoille Canyon. From there, the 500 mile drive up to central Oregon took us across some of the most remote roads in America.
- Into the Great Wide Open – Nevada to Oregon June 11, 2014What would you pay for a gallon of diesel when stranded with painted animals in the open desert?
- From Salt to Snow – Bonneville to Lamoille Canyon June 6, 2014We went from salt to snow as we drove from the Bonneville Salt Flats to the Lamoille Canyon Scenic Byway.
- Nevada Open Road Challenge – A NEED for SPEED! May 30, 2014We mingled with race car drivers and admired their exotic cars at the Nevada Open Road Challenge!
- Laughlin, NV – A Little Known Canyon, Petroglyphs & A Car Museum! October 1, 2009Laughlin NV is a major stop on the RV snowbird route but few know about the pretty hike and petroglyphs in Grapevine Canyon.
- Las Vegas – The Interbike Tradeshow and Awesome Red Canyon! September 29, 2009We stopped at Las Vegas for the annual Interbike bicycle industry trade show and visited gorgeous Red Rock Canyon.
- Valley of Fire, NV – A Cauldron Cooled September 25, 2009Nevada’s Valley of Fire delivers both jaw-dropping views created by geological drama and glimpses of ancient history…
- Pioche & Cathedral Gorge, NV – The Wild West September 23, 2008Pioche NV was once a wild boomtown of 10,000 but today it’s a historian’s paradise of 700 that’s untouched by commercialism…
- Valley of Fire, NV – Sweeping Vistas October 29, 2007Valley of Fire State Park near Las Vegas features a stunning drive that snakes past all kinds of exotic red rock formations.