When we first started full-time RVing in 2007 and again in 2016, we visited gorgeous Glacier National Park, an awesome destination for an RV trip.
In 2009, 2012 and 2016, we spent time in the beautiful Bitterroot Valley, exploring the small towns of Hamilton, Darby and Stevensville and visiting the workshop of a custom guitar builder.
We discovered the world of small town, family oriented rodeos in Helmville in 2009 and learned about Montana’s rich gold mining history at the ghost towns of Nevada City and Virginia City in 2012.
Big Hole found a place in our hearts as a wonderful spot for RV camping and photography in 2012, and in 2016 sweet little Phillipsburg blew us away as the quintessential small western town (with an awesome brewpub!).
Our RV travel blog posts are below:
- Ross Creek Cedars & Kootenai Falls – Giant Trees & Swings in Montana! September 3, 2016In our RV trip to NW Montana we found giant ancient trees at Ross Creek Cedars Scenic Area and we swung over Kootenai Falls!
- Eagles and Hummingbirds in Libby, Montana August 31, 2016While RV camping in Libby Montana we had close encounters with a beautiful bald eagle and a flock of hummingbirds.
- Long Ride Travel by Horse and Bicycle! August 29, 2016Traveling by RV is a blast and has introduced us to more exotic ways to see the world: Long Ride horse travel and bicycle touring.
- Whitefish to Libby – Big Surprises on the Back Roads of Montana August 28, 2016On an RV trip on Montana’s back roads from Glacier to Whitefish and along Lake Koocanusa to Libby, we found some big surprises.
- “Going to the Sun” from Glacier National Park’s East Side – Breathtaking! August 21, 2016Driving the Going to the Sun Road from Glacier National Park’s east side offers breathtaking views of snowy peaks, lakes and valleys.
- Glacier National Park’s Quieter Side – Saint Mary August 17, 2016The eastern side of Glacier National Park is its quieter and possibly more beautiful side, and St Mary is a great RV home base.
- Glacier National Park in Montana – Mirrors at Lake McDonald May 29, 2016Glacier National Park is great for an RV roadtrip, and going before peak season avoids the crowds, especially at serene Lake McDonald.
- Philipsburg, Montana – One of America’s Prettiest Painted Places! May 24, 2016Philipsburg, Montana, is one of “America’s Prettiest Painted Places” and is a is a great stop an RV road trip through Montana.
- A Glimpse of Cowboy Life and Cattle Ranching in Montana May 16, 2016Our RV travels took us to a cattle ranch in Montana where we learned about cowboy and ranching life and even bottle fed two calves.
- Montana’s Bitterroot Valley – Elk, Horses, Ranches & More! May 14, 2016The Bitterroot Valley of Montana is filled with pretty farms and is a great place to ride a horse. Sometimes herds of elk run by too!
- Ennis, MT & Earthquake Lake – Small Town Charm & Airstream Trailers! September 16, 2012After being charmed by Ennis Montana our RV crossed paths with an Airstream trailer rally and views of Earthquake Lake.
- Nevada City, MT – Rebuilding History in a Vanished Ghost Town September 11, 2012Nevada City, MT, vanished under gold mining dredges and has been lovingly rebuilt with original buildings from all over Montana.
- Virginia City, MT – Living History in a Ghost Town September 7, 2012Our RV travels included a stop at Virginia City, Montana where we discovered Montana’s rich gold mining history in a fun ghost town.
- Dillon, MT – Sculpture, History and Hot Rods! September 2, 2012In Dillon, MT, we found beautiful bronze sculptures all over town, and the Annual Cruise Night car show brought all the townspeople out.
- Big Hole, MT – Picture Postcard Perfect August 29, 2012Big Hole, MT, is not only an ideal camping spot with exquisite scenery, but is home to Jackson, a town built on hot springs.
- Darby, MT – Fun Surprises in the Bitterroot Valley August 25, 2012Darby, MT, home to ~750, sports a fabulous library (the “Sistine Chapel of Small-Diameter Wood”) a fun museum & funky Sheriff’s office.
- BitterSweet Guitars in the Bitterroot, MT August 23, 2012BitterSweet Guitars are hand-crafted in Hamilton, Montana, and we were lucky enough to tour this fantastic luthier’s workshop.
- Bitterroot Valley, MT – Traditional Roots in the Modern Age August 21, 2012The Bitterroot Valley is both traditional & modern: 3rd and 4th-generation ranchers continue their way of life even as the world changes.
- Helmville Rodeo, MT – RV Camping with Horses September 29, 2009At the Helmville Rodeo in Montana, we camped in our RV in a field alongside horse trailers, ranching families and super-cute kids.
- Helmville Rodeo, MT – Bull-riders, Bucking Broncos and Cute Kids September 28, 2009The Helmville Rodeo celebrates the ranching lifestyle, and we loved the roping, steer wrestling, barrel racing & mutton busters.
- Stevensville, MT – Real Ranching and Grass Fed Beef! September 5, 2009While visiting friends in Stevensville MT, a neighbor invited us to see cattle ranching in action: inoculations and a (mini) cattle drive!
- Glacier National Park, MT – Mountain Goats and Lake Views August 27, 2007At Montana’s Glacier National Park we drove the famous Going to the Sun Road and saw the infamous mountain goats at Logan Pass.