Groovy in Las Hadas Anchorage
Cruising Mexico on a boat is exhilarating, and we learned all kinds of things during our 3.5 year cruise down south. Following are some pages that paint a picture of what it is like to cruise in Mexico and that we hope you find helpful as you prepare for your voyage.
In addition to the following pages, you may also enjoy our travel posts from everywhere we visited in Mexico. These are an easy way to see what each place looks like, as our adventure stories are loaded with photos. They are all given by region under the MEXICO menu item above. Also, please be sure to have a peak at our Gear & Outfitting menu item above where we describe and review some of the equipment we used for cruising.
Guides & Tips covers all the things we learned about cruising in Mexico that we wished we’d known ahead of time. From our own guides to reviews of commercially published books to helpful websites, we cover many of the less commonly discussed topics that go into planning and preparing to cruise Mexico.
The Cruising Lifestyle is a trip. If you have never lived aboard a boat at anchor — which is totally different than living aboard a boat in a marina and bears little resemblance to living in a house — these anecdotes and funny stories may give you an idea of what it is like.
Life in Mexico as an ex-pat (which is what taking a boat to Mexico entails, behind the scenes) is very different than living in the US or Canada as a citizen at home. These short stories give a glimpse of this new and crazy lifestyle.
Guides & Tips:
- Mexico Cruiser’s Bookshelf – Great guides and resources! 08/18/13 A list of cruising guides, reference books, maps and resources that we found useful for cruising Mexico…
- Mexico by Bus – Long distance buses in Mexico are a great way to travel! 06/04/13 Getting off the boat to see Mexico has really enhanced our cruising lifestyle, and Mexico’s long distance bus service has made that possible.
- ¿Hablas tú español? Here are a few tools for learning Spanish! 04/30/13 Learning Spanish can really enhance the experience of cruising and living in Mexico. Here are a few tools that have helped us a lot.
- Marina Chiapas – Waypoints, Cruising Guide & Inland Travel Information 02/22/13 Marina Chiapas is a new marina at Puerto Madero (the new Puerto Chiapas cruise ship port) near the Guatemala border. After several months there we put together these notes for cruisers, including waypoints and an inland travel guide.
- Cruising Mexico – Tips for Check-in, Provisioning, Internet & Much More! 03/12/12 Guide to cruising Mexico: checking in, money, provisioning, finding boat parts, internet, laundry, hair care, bugs, petty theft & costs.
- Mexico Cruising Guide – Navigation, Weather, Sailing tips & more 03/05/12 Tips for cruising Mexico: adapting to the culture, learning Spanish, navigation, weather prediction, tide charts, boat prep & other goodies.
- Mexico Maps 02/05/12 A collection of maps of Mexico’s Pacific coast and Sea of Cortez for cruisers showing all the popular anchorages and destinations.
The Cruising Lifestyle:
- On the Road to your Dreams, Stay the Course! 09/14/13 When starting a life of full-time travel, by RV or sailboat or other means, the transition can be rocky. Just remember: stay the course!
- Leaky Batteries = Ruined Gear… Arghhh!!!! 08/05/13 Oops – Don’t repeat our mistake! We left cheap batteries in our portable electronics in the tropics for a few months…what a mess!
- Living, Loving and Perfecting “The Dream” 06/29/13 After 3.5 years of cruising Mexico, we are taking Groovy to San Diego to end our cruising lifestyle and begin a new chapter.
- Oh, That’s Just Swell!! 05/17/13 Swell is the name of the game when cruising Mexico’s Pacific coast on your own boat!!
- Go Fish! – Some wild ways to catch dinner! 04/24/13 One of the great joys of cruising Mexico has been watching the wildlife around us, especially the birds and their many wild ways of catching dinner.
- Snap, Crackle, Pop! – Nice Fishies… 04/17/13 No matter how remote the anchorage, Groovy is never alone in the water, and we are always amazed by how noisy it gets at night!!
- Showering on the hook = A carnival ride with your eyes closed! 03/28/13 Even something simple like taking a shower becomes an all new experience when done at anchor in cruising sailboat!
- Surfing the dinghy = Crash landings on the beach! 03/18/13 We often have to surf our dinghy onto the beach in Mexico, and sometimes this can make for a wet ride and a crash landing!
- Swabbing the decks underway! 03/16/13 Keeping the boat clean while living on the hook means getting creative, and we’ve found some good techniques for swabbing the decks while on passage.
- Cruising = Fixing your boat in exotic places! 03/02/13 Anchored in Zihuatanejo, we needed to get our outboard propellor repaired. So off to the welder we went on another wacky excursion.
- Life on the Hook in Mexico – What do you do all day when you’re cruising in the tropics? 11/17/12 Sailing off into the sunset on a cruising boat is a dream for many, but life afloat is not just umbrella drinks and suntanning in the cockpit.
|An Ex-pat’s Life in Mexico:
- Divorced Eggs…?! 07/28/13 Travelers to Mexico quickly learn about yummy “carne tacos” on the street, but what the heck are those “Divorced Eggs” on the breakfast menu?
- Is Mexico Safe? 07/21/13 Lots of people ask us “Is Mexico safe?” and our answer, after 3.5 years of living and traveling throughout Mexico, is “Absolutely YES!”
- Quinceañera – Sailboat “Groovy” Helps Celebrate a Mexican 15th Birthday 07/14/13 Groovy provided an elegant backdrop for a quinceañera (15th birthday) photo shoot, and we got swept up in the family party!
- It’s Not About the Hair! 06/19/13 A simple haircut gives us intriguing cultural insights in La Manzanilla.
- The Tourist Tangle – All tied up in knots! 04/09/13 Sun hat, cameras, sunglasses, reading glasses: they all get hung around our necks for easy access, but what a web those straps can make!!
- Shipwreck in Paradise – A unique ship hits the beach! 04/02/13 What a surprise to find an old wooden ship beached in front of the swimming pools and restaurants of Paradise Village Resort in Puerto Vallarta!
- And God said: “Let the Beer Flow” !! 03/30/13 Holiday weeks in Mexico, especially Easter, bring out the hot beer models who always have cool promotions to sell beer.
- Red sky at morning… should sailors take warning? 03/12/13 The sunrises in Manzanillo’s Santiago Bay are sensational, but there’s a reason, and it lies at the south end of the bay…
- Shhh!! Bootleg DVDs are like a box of chocolates… 03/11/13 Bootleg DVDs are common in Mexico, but because the titles bear no resemblance to their English counterparts, you often have no idea what you’re buying!
- La Tia Hot Sauce – The best among millions! 03/06/13 In our travels we often find yummy things and special places, but sometimes on a return visit they are no longer there…
- Generosity and friendliness are the hallmarks of Mexico! 02/28/13 While entering a store in ZIhuatanejo we noticed a fancy motorcycle -what a surprise when the owner offered us the keys for a ride!
This link lists all our illustrated adventure stores by location. This is a great way to see what Mexico’s many anchorages look like. It is also accessible from the MEXICO menu item at the top of the page:
This link lists the major upgrades we did on our boat and reviews some of the bigger gear choices we made. It is also accessible from the GEAR & REVIEWS menu at the top of the page:
Upgrades & Product Reviews