Although we had traveled to Colorado (and loved it!) before we started our full-time RV travels, we didn’t get there with our RV until the summer of 2012 when we dropped by the indian cliff dwellings on Mesa Verde and traversed the red rock majesty of the Colorado National Monument. However, what really got our juices flowing were the vivid fall colors around Telluride and Ridgway.
We returned to Colorado with our RV in the fall of 2014 to explore the Black Canyon of the Gunnison and visit spectacular Maroon Bells. Then we hung out a little longer to revel in the autumn splendor of the golden aspen and fall colors in the the Ouray and Ridgway areas.
We held off so long on driving our RV through Colorado because we were intimidated by the thought of taking the rig over the enormous mountain passes in the towering Rocky Mountains. But in the end, we drove the jaw-dropping Million Dollar Highway (US Route 550), which is one of America’s most challenging mountain roads, towing our 14,000 lb. fifth wheel trailer and found it very manageable.
So, if you drive a big RV, don’t take Colorado OFF your bucket list because of the mountains. Add Colorado TO your bucket list because the mountains are just that stunning!!
- The Best Way to Enjoy Colorado’s Scenic Drives? In a Porsche! July 23, 2017On a Colorado RV trip we joined friends on a Porsche 356 club rally, driving over mountain passes & seeing exquisite alpine scenery.
- Cowboy Poetry Gatherings in Durango, Colorado, and Alpine, Texas! November 30, 2016Cowboy poetry gatherings in Durango Colorado and Alpine Texas are a fun way to glimpse of the past in the American West.
- Brilliant Fall Foliage + Snow in the San Juan Mountains of Colorado November 22, 2016On an RV road trip to see the fall foliage in the San Juan Mountains of Colorado, a snowstorm transforms the landscape! Lots of pics…
- Colorado’s San Juan Skyway – An RV Trip in Dazzling Fall Color! November 18, 2016An autumn RV trip on the San Juan Skyway in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado is an unforgettable experience. Pics here…
- San Juan Mountains Colorado – And then it Snowed! November 14, 2014On our RV trip on the San Juan Skyway, the Colorado’s Rocky Mountains became a winter wonderland when it snowed in late fall.
- RV Trip on Colorado’s Million Dollar Highway – Ouray to Silverton November 2, 2014An RV trip on the Million Dollar Highway from Ouray to Silverton Colorado is breathtaking both for the scenery and because it is scary!
- Ouray – Finding the COLOR in Colorado on an RV Trip! October 26, 2014Late September to early October is the perfect time for an RV road trip to Ouray Colorado when the aspens light up the mountains.
- Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park, CO – Steep and Deep! October 21, 2014The Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park in Colorado is a land of wild and rugged beauty and very sheer cliffs!
- Romance at Maroon Bells Colorado! October 9, 2014Love was in the air at Maroon Bells in Colorado where we watched an engagement and a wedding photo shoot!
- Colorado GOLD – A Fall Foliage Photography Workshop October 21, 2012Colorado’s Dallas Divide between Ridgway and Telluride is a vivid kaleidoscope of color in autumn, ideal for a photo workshop.
- Ridgway, CO – Peak fall foliage on the Dallas Divide – WOW!! October 19, 2012Ridgway, Colorado, the San Juan mountains, Owl Creek Pass, Dallas Creek Rd and Last Dollar Rd make for a spectacular Fall RV trip.
- Colorado National Monument & Fruita CO – Red Rocks, Cycling & Wine! October 18, 2012Colorado National Monument’s red rocks are gorgeous, nearby Fruita has an awesome farmer’s market while Palisade has tasty wine!
- Mesa Verde National Park, CO – Life on the Edge with the Ancients June 19, 2012Mesa Verde National Park has canyons filled with awe-inspiring Indian cliff dwellings and Utah’s Bicentennial Highway is sensational!