Greetings from Mark and Emily Fagan, a pair of voyaging RVers / cruisers who have lived and toured full-time in rolling and floating homes since 2007.
This sailing and RV blog is a photo-journal of our adventures with additional pages dedicated to sharing the many things we have learned about these wonderful lifestyles.
Our goal is to inspire you to get out and go — or at least to lift your spirits for a few moments with a fun travel tale or two.
Life Off the Grid
Throughout our travels we have lived almost entirely off the grid. In our trailer we like to “boondock,” that is, we camp independently on public lands, away from campgrounds and RV parks. In our sailboat we “anchor out” in bays and coves rather than staying in marinas. To date, we have spent over 1,000 nights boondocking and over 750 nights living aboard at anchor!
These unique lifestyles have taught us a lot about how to live simply and frugally, without “hookups” to power or water. We devote many pages to sharing what we’ve learned.
Our Travel Blog
Whether you are looking for fun travel destinations or a bit of escapist reading, we have lots of travel tales to share.
Our sailing and cruising and RV travels have taken us on an exhilarating ride across the US and Mexico.
How did we come up with the name for our RV blog / sailing blog?
We have found in our journeys that we are always wandering off the well-worn paths of other travelers. So, when a friend sent me a heartfelt email referencing Robert Frost’s poem after he read my post about why we are pursuing this travel dream, it seemed like the poet’s sentiments matched the theme we wanted to express in our travel blog.
The self-reflections that conclude Robert Frost’s famous poem, written so many years ago, ring true for us today:
Two roads diverged in a wood
And I took the one less traveled by
And that has made all the difference.
Here are samples of some of our best photos from our favorite places. Click on the images to see to more photos and stories from each location.
All of our travel pages can be navigated chronologically – click on the blue highlighted text at the beginning and end of each post to see the next or previous post in our journal.
For EVERYONE: – Get out and GO!! There’s a wonderful world waiting for you to explore. We fanned the flames of our travel dreams by following the stories of others… we hope in the same way to light the path for you… before you know it, you may run off to a life of adventure too!!
Following are our most recent additions to this website:
Our “snapshot” posts offer brief — and sometimes humorous — glimpses into our lives afloat and on the road:
- Oh, That’s Just Swell!!Posted: May 17, 2013
- Free Spirit – Travel inspiration from close to my heart!Posted: May 9, 2013
- ¿Hablas tú español? Here are a few tools for learning Spanish!Posted: April 30, 2013
- Go Fish! – Some wild ways to catch dinner!Posted: April 24, 2013
- Snap, Crackle, Pop! – Nice Fishies…Posted: April 17, 2013
Our longer posts describe the destinations we visit, the gear we use, and other topics in greater depth:
- 2013 Kiteboard World Cup – Right here on the beach!Posted: May 14, 2013May, 2013 – The World Cup Kiteboard competitions took place right on our beach. And what a thrilling show it was — soaring athletes on wings and cool cars!!
- La Cruz – A favorite cruiser hangout with a fabulous farmer’s marketPosted: May 5, 2013April, 2013 – La Cruz is a favorite cruiser hangout, and when we went to the Sunday farmer’s market we understood why — it’s fantastic!!
- Escapees Magazine features our story “Pacing Your RV Travels”Posted: May 2, 2013When we began RVing full-time 6 years ago, we raced across America (just like all new full-timers do!) until we discovered how much more satisfying it was to slow down…
- Chamela to La Cruz – Dances with Whales around Cabo CorrientesPosted: April 27, 2013March, 2013 – Our passage from Chamela to La Cruz was very tranquil until breaching humpback whales burst out of the water next to us, welcoming us to Banderas Bay!
- Costalegre: Careyes – The most colorful anchorage on Mexico’s Pacific coast!Posted: April 20, 2013March, 2013 – Wow, talk about color! The tiny anchorage of Careyes is hard to park in, but the colorful views surrounding the anchorage make it well worth the effort!
- Costalegre: Paraiso – An Unexpected Tropical Oasis!Posted: April 13, 2013March, 2013 – Paraiso is a tiny gem of an anchorage where we found clear turquoise water, thick swarms of fish, tall palms and a gorgeous beach.
- Costalegre: Cuastecomate – Exploring a “Secret Anchorage”Posted: April 6, 2013March, 2013 – On our second visit to the “Secret Anchorage” of Cuastecomate, we got ashore to the cute village behind the palapa beach bars.
- Costalegre: Santiago Bay in Manzanillo – Brilliant sunrises every day!Posted: March 31, 2013March, 2013 – In Santiago Bay we bolted out of bed every morning to watch the gorgeous sunrises. Each was more beautiful than the last.
Enjoy our RV blog / Sailing blog – and spread the word!!